You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 12.1.2 - Apple search suggestions missing; ignores a typed full URL.

Immediately after installing the Safari 12.1.2 update on this 10.13.6 High Sierra MBP, Safari suggested URLs are missing. AFAIK, I made no prefs changes.

My home page has long been Google advanced search, and I've used the Google search engine.

If I open a new window and shift-tab so the insertion point is in the "smart search field" ['address bar'], and begin typing a URL in short form, only a few generic Google search terms appear - none of which I've ever used. The typical list of URLs is gone. [Gradually, as I wrote this question and tested multiple options for accuracy, a few of the Apple-suggested URLS began appearing.]

Enter a 'short form' URL and press return, that quasi-URL is replaced with the Google Advanced search URL and otherwise ignored. Amazingly, even when a correctly-formed URL is entered, it too is ignored even though it's icon appears to the left of the search field as soon as the entry is complete. The full URL disappears, replaced with the Google advanced search URL, same way a new window opens... except none does.

Selecting one of the Google-generated generic terms is like having typed that term directly into the Google web page "All these terms..." box. A search is returned.

Bookmarks and favorites work, and I haven't noticed any other misbehavior.

I toggled the search engine pref to see if Safari suggestions would returned, but they didn't.' The other three smart search field options are always selected.

If some file has to be deleted, which one, and where is it?

-Paul

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 10:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 11:41 AM

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 27, 2019 11:41 AM in response to FibreMan_85_125

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Jul 27, 2019 8:36 PM in response to Eric Root

With a new admin user account, Safari worked okay. After restarting two more times, Safari in the main user account now works correctly. Surprises me because this mid-2010 MBP gets restarted automatically every day or two due to the GPU failure bug.

Something new I see which I hadn't noticed before - probably because it wasn't working - is Safari suggestions now show as Siri suggestions in the search bar.

Thanks for your help; just glad I didn't have to spend the weekend trying to get it to work!!

Safari 12.1.2 - Apple search suggestions missing; ignores a typed full URL.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.