Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard navigation in Safari toolbar search/location field

When typing in the search/url field in the Safari toolbar, plausible results are progressively filled into list menu that appears below the search field. It used to be that at any time I could switch to the arrow keys on my keyboard and move the selection down to the result I wanted and hit Return to select.

No more! Pressing the arrow keys will momentarily move the selection down the list but it seems some other process is constantly returning the selection back to the search field. Certainly much faster than I can ever hit Return to select.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there any known solution?

Safari Version 15.6.1

MacOS version 11.6.8

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 9:25 AM

Hey Scott Grimmett,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

Let's try starting your Mac into safe mode to test what's happening in the search field:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Let us know what happens.

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 15, 2022 9:06 AM in response to Scott Grimmett

Hi Scott Grimmett,

When the issue returned was it after restarting again normally? If so, this could mean there is something in a third-party item which start with your Mac, which safe mode doesn't use.

We've got some additional troubleshooting we can do to help isolate this issue some more.

First, test with another user: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Add a user
1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
If the lock at the bottom left is locked , click it to unlock the preference pane.
2. Click the Add button  below the list of users.
3. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user. (Select Administrator for this test)
4. Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is generated automatically. To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.
5. Enter a password for the user, then enter it again to verify. Enter a password hint to help the user remember their password.
6. Click Create User.

Let us know what happens, and we'll move on to the next step, depending on the result.

Thank you!

Keyboard navigation in Safari toolbar search/location field

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.