Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connected an external SSD with Mac OS and internet is really slow

Connected an external SSD USB C with Mac OS and internet is really slow. On the original MAC OS HD internal drive it's 30MB and using the new external SSD it's only 5MB and using web pages is extremely slow. Is there somehow interference.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Posted on May 24, 2022 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 4:49 AM

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 4:49 AM in response to delain72

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

May 24, 2022 4:10 AM in response to delain72

delain72 wrote:

Connected an external SSD USB C with Mac OS and internet is really slow. On the original MAC OS HD internal drive it's 30MB and using the new external SSD it's only 5MB and using web pages is extremely slow. Is there somehow interference.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Q - " Connected an external SSD USB C with Mac OS and internet is really slow "

A - There is no relationship between the USB-C SSD connected to the computer and the Internet Speed.

Q - " On the original MAC OS HD internal drive it's 30MB and using the new external SSD it's only 5MB and using web pages is extremely slow "

A - It is unclear what is meant by " HD internal drive it's 30MB ". It that the amount of Empty Space on the Internal Drive ?

Is this a New Issue ? If Yes, what exactly changed on this computer ?

Is this an Old Issue ? If Yes, what actions has the user taken to fix this issue ?

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

Reliable , accurate, details and context will really help to pinpoint a possible solution.

May 24, 2022 4:45 AM in response to PRP_53

Apologies if i didn't make it clear enough. I currently have a imac 2019 but it has been extremely slow so I purchased an external SSD with USB C connection and created a bootable backup and chose the SSD to boot MAC OS.

Everything transferred across and it boots up with no issue.

I noticed that when I opened web pages it was extremely slow and my wifi would disappear and when it appeared a speed test showed that I was only getting a 5MB download speed.

The original Mac HD Drive which still have the OS installed doesn't have any Wifi issues and when I do a speed test it shows a 30MB download speed.

I have had a quick look on the internet and some ideas are there could be interference with USB C & my wifi when using a external connection.

Connected an external SSD with Mac OS and internet is really slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.