Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long does battery replacement take?

Hi

I have a MBP 15 inch 2017, which is reporting that the battery requires service.

The laptop is used for work, so I would need the battery replacement the same day if possible.

Does anyone have any experience of having a battery replaced at an Apple Store? How long did it take?

My nearest Apple Store is an hour away.

Thanks

Matt

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 24, 2022 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 9:27 AM

It's hard to answer here. What happens in the US will be different than in another country, and parts availability is a continuing issue throughout the tech sector.

Based on past posts here and knowledge of what one must do to remove a dead battery (it's glued to the deck!), I doubt any Apple Store will do a battery service on a Retina Macbook Pro on-site. Removing the old battery requires toxic, flammable solvents that cannot be stored or used in a retail setting due to OSHA regs, HAZMAT precautions, and local fire codes.

Contact Apple Support and ask about a ship-in service. It will likely be fastest. Taking it to a store will only mean extra time because the store will likely have to send your computer to the same service facility as you will.

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

I had a positive experience with a ship-in battery service on an iPad. Battery service on Notebooks is different than iPads but I did a ship-in with my iPad 5 during COVID. I set up the repair online, and dropped the iPad at a UPS Store on a Friday morning. UPS did the packing and shipping. By the time I retuned home, (maybe 10 minutes later) I had an acknowledgment from Apple that they had been notified by UPS of its receipt.

The Apple service center in California received it on Monday morning and shipped the replacement out the same day. I had a like-new working iPad in hand before lunch on Wednesday. Not bad considering there were two weekend days involved. That was in the US.

Others who had a Retina Macbook Pro battery service for a Retina Macbook Pro say that Apple replaced the entire upper deck with a refurb deck fitted with a new battery, keyboard, and trackpad. If they use an available refurbed assembly, that should be a fast turnaround.

If you have that deck exchange done by an independent provider, it will cost you US$500-600 based on tear-stained posts here. Apple charges US$200 regardless of which method they use. I've also seen posts that independents are having a hard time getting the deck assemblies given the many variants in models and keyboard languages.

Bottom line from a fellow user: Based on many posts here I doubt you can get an overnight service. Gone are the days of batteries attached by screws that you could change in 15 minutes.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 9:27 AM in response to Maff K

It's hard to answer here. What happens in the US will be different than in another country, and parts availability is a continuing issue throughout the tech sector.

Based on past posts here and knowledge of what one must do to remove a dead battery (it's glued to the deck!), I doubt any Apple Store will do a battery service on a Retina Macbook Pro on-site. Removing the old battery requires toxic, flammable solvents that cannot be stored or used in a retail setting due to OSHA regs, HAZMAT precautions, and local fire codes.

Contact Apple Support and ask about a ship-in service. It will likely be fastest. Taking it to a store will only mean extra time because the store will likely have to send your computer to the same service facility as you will.

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

I had a positive experience with a ship-in battery service on an iPad. Battery service on Notebooks is different than iPads but I did a ship-in with my iPad 5 during COVID. I set up the repair online, and dropped the iPad at a UPS Store on a Friday morning. UPS did the packing and shipping. By the time I retuned home, (maybe 10 minutes later) I had an acknowledgment from Apple that they had been notified by UPS of its receipt.

The Apple service center in California received it on Monday morning and shipped the replacement out the same day. I had a like-new working iPad in hand before lunch on Wednesday. Not bad considering there were two weekend days involved. That was in the US.

Others who had a Retina Macbook Pro battery service for a Retina Macbook Pro say that Apple replaced the entire upper deck with a refurb deck fitted with a new battery, keyboard, and trackpad. If they use an available refurbed assembly, that should be a fast turnaround.

If you have that deck exchange done by an independent provider, it will cost you US$500-600 based on tear-stained posts here. Apple charges US$200 regardless of which method they use. I've also seen posts that independents are having a hard time getting the deck assemblies given the many variants in models and keyboard languages.

Bottom line from a fellow user: Based on many posts here I doubt you can get an overnight service. Gone are the days of batteries attached by screws that you could change in 15 minutes.

May 24, 2022 8:17 AM in response to stumpy1946

Thanks. I tried calling my nearest Apple Store, but eventually spoke to someone in a call centre. They said that they are currently experiencing delays in obtaining parts. They suggested taking my laptop into the store to get it diagnosed properly to check that it really is the battery that needs replacing. The part(s) can then be ordered and I could take my laptop away until the parts arrive. That does mean two trips, but I may only be without my laptop for a day, potentially.

May 24, 2022 3:00 AM in response to Maff K

Major "repairs" all take about the same time as very little, if anything at all, is actually repaired. Usually things are replaced.

For me that was five days for a logic board. From drop off at a store to delivery back to my house. But that was also pre pandemic. Today, you just can't really estimate delivery times. Call the store, they will be the best ones to ask based on their experience.

How long does battery replacement take?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.