Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.4 - Activity Monitor inaccurate, super slow since update

Hello all,

I updated recently from 12.3.1 to 12.4 and overall performance has tanked, especially for Terminal type applications. A simple return at the prompt or a command can take 20 seconds or more to complete, even in the native "Terminal".

Activity Monitor is showing minimal CPU and memory with only disk showing some spikes.

System is around 2.7%, User at 3%, Idle at 94% as I write this, however the general user experience has dramatically decreased, and the graphs for trends do not reflect it.

After the update completed and I turned on the again, a performance and battery optimisation was automatically run. Could this be the cause?

Are the metrics from Activity Monitor to be relied on?

Thank you in advance, komorebi_e

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 24, 2022 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 8:19 AM

komorebi_e wrote:

Hello all,

I updated recently from 12.3.1 to 12.4 and overall performance has tanked, especially for Terminal type applications. A simple return at the prompt or a command can take 20 seconds or more to complete, even in the native "Terminal".

Activity Monitor is showing minimal CPU and memory with only disk showing some spikes.

System is around 2.7%, User at 3%, Idle at 94% as I write this, however the general user experience has dramatically decreased, and the graphs for trends do not reflect it.

After the update completed and I turned on the again, a performance and battery optimisation was automatically run. Could this be the cause?

"Terminal type applications" why not state what this app is....(?) if there is an issue with a third party app—

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 8:19 AM in response to komorebi_e

komorebi_e wrote:

Hello all,

"Terminal type applications" why not state what this app is....(?) if there is an issue with a third party app—

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

May 24, 2022 9:09 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for the suggestions, I will give them a go and report back.

As to the other terminal applications - I did put that I have the problem with the native "Terminal",

I did not list the other applications as I get the same experience for the Apple provided app.

So the symptoms are universal to those types of application, 3rd party or native.

> A simple return at the prompt or a command can take 20 seconds or more to complete, even in the native "Terminal".

May 24, 2022 10:43 AM in response to komorebi_e

When I first had the slowness, I restarted my Macbook. It was still slow to start up and then interacting apps, nothing would happen when I would click. Going to the application bar, I would get a pinwheel.

I left it to settle down and it Terminal was very slow and difficult to use, Command + Shift + 4 for screen grabs or anything that related to opening a file. For example Zoom, had trouble reading my static virtual background and even asked for the 1st time, if I wanted to use video because it was taking too long to load.

Over the course of the day, without intervention it improved and Terminal and other applications started responding as before - promptly.

I restarted again to check if all was back to normal and it is. My MacBook loaded as quickly as before, applications opened and responded.

I did not do anything with Safemode and used the MacBook as best as I could in the state it was in.

Whatever the cause of the difference between my user experience and the Activity Monitor has disappeared.

(Probably not the answer you wanted to read if you are also having similar problems...)

Thank you both for your suggestions and others for their time reading this.

Monterey 12.4 - Activity Monitor inaccurate, super slow since update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.