Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot mirror screen on new iMac 2021 to Mac mid 2011(High Sierra. Works in reverse, but not what I want

I want to use my old Mac mid 2011 HighSierra) as a second screen for my new iMac 2021(Monterey). I cannot make this work. I'm using a thunderbolt cable. Somewhat funny, the old Mac will mirror the screen of the new Mac, but not in reverse. I've read every article, but can't make it work. Any help out there?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 24, 2022 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 9:41 AM

Unfortunately, that setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and target display mode is no longer a feature of macOS.

As Apple states them, here are the rules for target display mode on iMac:

click> Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Per the link above:

• Make sure that your target iMac is using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• The source Mac must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 9:41 AM in response to colorado springs

Unfortunately, that setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and target display mode is no longer a feature of macOS.

As Apple states them, here are the rules for target display mode on iMac:

click> Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Per the link above:

• Make sure that your target iMac is using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• The source Mac must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

Cannot mirror screen on new iMac 2021 to Mac mid 2011(High Sierra. Works in reverse, but not what I want

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.