Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA to iMac screen mirroring

Hi. I have my new MBA running Big Sur. I also have my old iMac running Catalina.

I'm trying to mirror the screen from my MacBook onto the iMac.

On the control centre, I click on screen mirroring.

Then, on the iMac, an icon shows on the left of the taskbar showing the window that I want to see on the iMac screen.

I click on it and I'm seeing the same screen on MBA and iMac.

Success.........BUT.

When I then try to do anything on the MacBookAir, I'm expecting to see the same thing happening on my iMac screen. It doesn't. It appears to be stuck at the point where screen mirroring started.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 3:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 6:25 AM

Hello groeswenphil,

From your post it appears you are trying to use an iMac as an extra monitor.

This can be done, depending on the models of Macs involved. Take a look at the information outlined here: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

If your Macs meet the requirements, and you are still having an issue, you may want to try a different cable.

Have a good day.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2021 6:25 AM in response to Tattyjacket

Hello groeswenphil,

From your post it appears you are trying to use an iMac as an extra monitor.

This can be done, depending on the models of Macs involved. Take a look at the information outlined here: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

If your Macs meet the requirements, and you are still having an issue, you may want to try a different cable.

Have a good day.

MBA to iMac screen mirroring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.