Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iMac hang up with “less than a minute remaining “ on the screen during Monterey upgrade?

Has anyone had an issue with Mac hanging up or freezing during install of Monterey. Mine shows less than a minute remaining, and doesn’t go any farther.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 24, 2022 9:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 10:25 PM

Our work computers were on Big Sur and just today there was a mandatory upgrade to Monterey 12.4. On my 2019 MacBook Pro the upgrade took well over an hour, including a long time for the 12 GB download (at a relatively slow speed due to the servers, our internet is much faster), with multiple reboots, black screens, and at one point sitting at "less than1 minute remaining" for at least 15 minutes, followed by "37 seconds remaining" for another 20 minutes. I decided to pay attention to other things because watching this was making me anxious. When I returned some time later, the update had finished. I have heard that for some this process takes less than 30 minutes, but others report 3 hours or more. I wold leave it for at least several hours before resorting to a force shut down and reboot.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 10:25 PM in response to soebyjon

Our work computers were on Big Sur and just today there was a mandatory upgrade to Monterey 12.4. On my 2019 MacBook Pro the upgrade took well over an hour, including a long time for the 12 GB download (at a relatively slow speed due to the servers, our internet is much faster), with multiple reboots, black screens, and at one point sitting at "less than1 minute remaining" for at least 15 minutes, followed by "37 seconds remaining" for another 20 minutes. I decided to pay attention to other things because watching this was making me anxious. When I returned some time later, the update had finished. I have heard that for some this process takes less than 30 minutes, but others report 3 hours or more. I wold leave it for at least several hours before resorting to a force shut down and reboot.

May 24, 2022 10:08 PM in response to soebyjon

soebyjon wrote:

Has anyone had an issue with Mac hanging up or freezing during install of Monterey. Mine shows less than a minute remaining, and doesn’t go any farther.
iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

If you are running High Sierra macOS 10.13 it is to big a jump to Monterey...

see a very similar post here: My upgrade from Mojave to Monterey is stuck at one more minute

follow the same.

If you can install Big Sur, then you can install Monterey

Why does my iMac hang up with “less than a minute remaining “ on the screen during Monterey upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.