Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2021 iMac 24 inch, migrating and updating the Mac system

I understand that the new iMacs come with Big Sur. My question is that my current Mac mini M1 has Monterey OS so when I get the new machine and migrate will that be a problem and when would be the best time to update the OS on the new machine? I will be getting in the machine today.

Carol

Posted on May 25, 2022 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2022 9:51 AM

Also, when you are ready to migrate PLEASE follow the steps in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant. This is the easiest, quickest and most reliable method.

11 replies

May 25, 2022 11:24 AM in response to CarolF5

Yes, connnect the old Mac's TM EHD to the new Mac prior to turning it on. Please note you likely will need an adapter to make the connection. I'm assuming the old Mac has all USB A or B connections. New Macs use USB C, this means you need a USB A to C adapter. One kind of like:

Amazon.com: Syntech USB C to USB Adapter Pack of 2 USB C Male to USB3 Female Adapter Compatible with MacBook Pro 2021 iMac iPad Mini 6/Pro MacBook Air 2020 and Other Type C or Thunderbolt 4/3 Devices Space Grey : Electronics

2021 iMac 24 inch, migrating and updating the Mac system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.