Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi network priority order changes when I reboot

I have two wifi networks at home, one for guests and one for family members. I have moved the two networks under wifi preferences so that the family network is at the top so that my Mac running Monterey connects to it rather than the guests network. However, whenever I reboot the Mac, the order switches back and it connects to the guests network as it is now back at the top. Another discussion I found on this forum concludes that this is related to the order of wifi networks in my iOS devices on keychain but I have not found a way to reorder the network on the iOS keychain.

This problem has only appeared in Monterey.

can anyone help?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 25, 2022 3:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 25, 2022 3:33 AM

Since this is a Home Wifi Setup - is there a reason the Guest Wifi is even listed in macOS or for that matter in iOS devices?

What would happen if on the iOS device the Guest Wifi was removed outright and on macOS you re-list the Family to Top and test by restarting the computer and seeing if it changes back to Guest at Top or remains as you have chosen Family Top and Guest below.

One can also add the Guest in iOS later

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 25, 2022 3:33 AM in response to Bucht

Since this is a Home Wifi Setup - is there a reason the Guest Wifi is even listed in macOS or for that matter in iOS devices?

What would happen if on the iOS device the Guest Wifi was removed outright and on macOS you re-list the Family to Top and test by restarting the computer and seeing if it changes back to Guest at Top or remains as you have chosen Family Top and Guest below.

One can also add the Guest in iOS later

May 26, 2022 2:20 AM in response to PRP_53

thanks for your answer. that is indeed what I did; I removed the guest network and the family one, re-added the family one and later the guest network and that did the trick past one or two reboots... nevertheless it is much manipulations and that is not how the OSX network pane is supposed to work. I also am not sure how long this will work..

May 26, 2022 3:13 AM in response to Bucht

It appears you Want to see the Guest Network in Wifi Settings for some reason.

Personally, have Disabled the Guest aspect of the ISP Supplied Router. Reason.

Where I live in a Condo, my Wifi Sniffer Application can see 50 Other Networks in my area and 50% are Guest Wifi.

That means the area basically has 100 Wifi Networks all broadcasting and interfering signals with one another.

Here are limits and then there are unreasonable limits to Saturation of Wifi Signals.

wifi network priority order changes when I reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.