Multiple devices not automatically joining previously known network

Multiple devices (two phones, two laptops) are now frequently failing to auto-join long-known home wifi network. Been the same network, same password, etc. for years, never an issue until recently. Now, 50% of the time, the devices won't automatically join, requiring manual join/password entry to access. All settings on all devices are unchanged, no updates to (i)OS's, no changes in Airport router or cable modem.

Router issue perhaps?

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 6:10 PM

Flotsam007 Said:

"Airport router is approximately 6 years old, other devices vary in age from 10 years to 2 years. The router is the only common device involved in the problem, hence my suspecting it might be the issue. Signal strength is unchanged, but it's (occasionally!) acting like it's never seen my devices before. I think. : )"

-------

Its Time for a New Router:

About WiFi:

6 years ago Wireless N was around. Now, things are WiFi AC, AX, and 6. All three of these are dual-band. So, I'd say it's time for a new router.

IMPORTANT:

BTW, if you have a separate modem that you are leasing it from your ISP, then you're probably paying around $20USD-$40USD a month just to lease it from them. So purchase your own a modem/router device, and discontinue leasing the modem from your ISP --you'd have enough to pay for a router on promotion for just under $250.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2023 6:10 PM in response to Flotsam007

Flotsam007 Said:

"Airport router is approximately 6 years old, other devices vary in age from 10 years to 2 years. The router is the only common device involved in the problem, hence my suspecting it might be the issue. Signal strength is unchanged, but it's (occasionally!) acting like it's never seen my devices before. I think. : )"

-------

Its Time for a New Router:

About WiFi:

6 years ago Wireless N was around. Now, things are WiFi AC, AX, and 6. All three of these are dual-band. So, I'd say it's time for a new router.

IMPORTANT:

BTW, if you have a separate modem that you are leasing it from your ISP, then you're probably paying around $20USD-$40USD a month just to lease it from them. So purchase your own a modem/router device, and discontinue leasing the modem from your ISP --you'd have enough to pay for a router on promotion for just under $250.

Aug 26, 2023 5:20 PM in response to Flotsam007

Flotsam007 Said:

"Multiple devices not automatically joining previously known network: Multiple devices (two phones, two laptops) are now frequently failing to auto-join long-known home wifi network. Been the same network, same password, etc. for years, never an issue until recently. [...]Router issue perhaps?"

-------

Please provide more:

How old is you router? How old are your devices? Does this occurs to all of your devices? Point Being: Technology ages, and protocol standards and data transfer rates increase.

Multiple devices not automatically joining previously known network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.