Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flag icon missing from keyboard input selection menu

I updated to Monterey 12.4 today and now the flag icon is missing from the keyboard input selection menu in the task bar. Instead of the flag icon, characters are used to display what is selected. (Eg for English US the characters US are displayed instead of the US flag).

How can I change this so a flag is displayed again?

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 25, 2022 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2022 5:46 AM

euan thomas wrote:

How can I change this so a flag is displayed again?

You can change it back by installing a custom layout. See

New Icons for Input Sources/Keyboard Layo… - Apple Community

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/441267/how-do-i-get-back-the-input-source-flags-on-my-menu-bar

Similar questions

7 replies

May 25, 2022 7:38 PM in response to LoBoogie

LoBoogie wrote:

Is there a source for why/when the option was removed. I would like to display flag icons on the menu bar as well.

There is no official source. Apple never makes these kinds of things public.

The most likely explanation is that it was simply never a good idea in the first place. Sometimes programmers, specifically American programmers, do things they think are cute and clever. But those ideas can annoy other people and sometimes even break laws. The relationship between a language, keyboard layout, country, and flag is not straightforward.

Flag icon missing from keyboard input selection menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.