Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail has downloaded thousands of deleted emails to my inbox! Help!

Yesterday I noticed my inbox (which I keep very minimal and clean) had over 5000 deleted emails return. Mail on my phone is fine - the inbox there is still minimal. Is there a setting I need to check to return my macbook mail to normal?

Posted on May 25, 2022 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2022 7:04 AM

The offending e-mail are coming from somewhere and just do not appear out if thin air.

Take the Computer Off Line from Internet and deleted the 5K e-mail and empty the e-mail Trash.

Reconnect computer to Internet and open Mail.

Do all the 5K message reappear ?

6 replies

Jul 24, 2022 8:33 AM in response to melwiggins_

I had this problem last month and re-installed the Mail application. The problem reoccurred yesterday and retrieved all deleted and junked emails from 2022 to date. I upgraded to Monterey 12.5 and the emails temporarily vanished. They reloaded this morning. There must be a bug in the Mail app. Has anyone actually solved this problem? It makes email unusable.

May 25, 2022 9:19 AM in response to melwiggins_

melwiggins_ wrote:

Yesterday I noticed my inbox (which I keep very minimal and clean) had over 5000 deleted emails return. Mail on my phone is fine - the inbox there is still minimal. Is there a setting I need to check to return my macbook mail to normal?

I do not now what this means "the inbox there is still minimal."

IMAP account sync across devices.

Old issue, new issue, what changed....(?)

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

May 26, 2022 1:51 AM in response to leroydouglas

I mean that my phone mail app doesn't have the 5000 deleted emails in the inbox - just the emails that I have kept on purpose. But the macbook mail app has 5000 emails that I have previously deleted or put in folders now showing in my inbox. I tried shutting it down, restarting the computer and upgrading to the newest update of Monterey but nothing has changed. Any help?

Mac Mail has downloaded thousands of deleted emails to my inbox! Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.