Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages corrupts documents

I have an older iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 with 16 GB memory installed. I has Pages 4.3 installed.

I also have a one year old iPad Pro and an IPhone 13, all updates have been installed. I ran the iWork 9.3 update on the iMac.

As soon as I open a document in Pages on the iMac regardless of where it was created, I get an error that states "Index.pages couldn't be opened. The required index.xml file is missing". Then, if I try to open the document on my iPhone or iPad I gent an error that states " Couldn't Import Document An Error Occurred". The file appears to be corrupted. It can no longer be opened anywhere.

I have read through many answers to similar questions, but none have led me to a solution. I realize that my iMac is old as is the version of Pages, but they can no longer be updated. I am retired and I am not a power user. I just want to do some of the very basic things with simple documents as I have always done in the past. This problem has been plaguing me for a while. I don't know where else to turn.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Posted on May 25, 2022 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2022 9:33 PM

" The required index.xml file is missing"

This message appears only when you use Pages '09 to attempt to open a file created with a post-'09 version of Pages. (Ditto for Numbers or Keynote.)

The iWork '09 versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote used (and required) an index.xml file in the package which was labelled as a .pages (or .numbers, or the equivalent Keynote version).

Post '09 versions of the three Mac applications used a different file format—this one not including an index.xml file.

Apple does not keep full installers for non-current versions of Pages, Numbers or Keynote, and current versions require macOS Monterey (version 12).

But watch for a reply from Viking OSX. If there is a way to install a more recent version of the iWork applications on your Mac, Viking should have the needed instructions.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2022 9:33 PM in response to Sparkz51

" The required index.xml file is missing"

This message appears only when you use Pages '09 to attempt to open a file created with a post-'09 version of Pages. (Ditto for Numbers or Keynote.)

The iWork '09 versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote used (and required) an index.xml file in the package which was labelled as a .pages (or .numbers, or the equivalent Keynote version).

Post '09 versions of the three Mac applications used a different file format—this one not including an index.xml file.

Apple does not keep full installers for non-current versions of Pages, Numbers or Keynote, and current versions require macOS Monterey (version 12).

But watch for a reply from Viking OSX. If there is a way to install a more recent version of the iWork applications on your Mac, Viking should have the needed instructions.

Regards,

Barry

May 26, 2022 3:19 AM in response to Sparkz51

The iWork 9.3 Update tells me one of two things:

1. Your original installation was from the iWork '09 DVD, and appropriately you updated it to the last iWork '09 versions.
  2. Your original installation of Pages '09 was from early to mid 2013, when Apple offered it in the Mac App Store. Applying the iWork 9.3 updater to this Pages '09 distribution would destroy it¹.

As Barry has pointed out, documents from versions of Pages (post Oct. 2013) released by Apple use an entirely different internal Pages document structure without the old index.xml, or index.xml.gz file. That holds true for Pages for iCloud, and Pages on iOS/iPad OS. Documents from these sources cannot be opened in Pages '09 without first being exported as Pages 09 documents, Word, or RTF formats. Many features that were in Pages '09 are still not supported in the current applications, or implemented differently and that can mean that the newer applications cannot open certain Pages '09 documents.

Launch a Finder Window and select Applications from the Favorites side panel. Do you have any Pages icon that looks like this?

If you do also happen to have a version of Pages with that icon, then there is a good possibility that you can get the last compatible version of Pages for High Sierra from the Mac App Store.

1. Launch the Mac App Store and sign in with your current Apple ID, or if you have that Pages icon, the Apple ID that you used to install it, in case it is different.
  2. Press the option-key, while clicking the Purchases tab
  3. Pages may appear with an Install or Update button. Click that if present.
  4. You may receive one or two dialogs. If the first is telling you that you need to update your Mac to get the latest Pages, then acknowledge that prompt (do not click cancel), and the next prompt should offer to install the last compatible version of Pages (v8.1) on High Sierra.

If you don't have any version of Pages installed with the above icon, and all you have is Pages '09 with the purple Ink bottle, I don't believe there is any means for you to get the last compatible version of Pages v8.1 for High Sierra, and then you would need to continue using the iOS/iPadOS or iCloud versions of the application.

Double-clicking a Pages document on Google Drive, or on Windows would destroy the document, and saving it to Microsoft's OneDrive would encrypt it, allowing Pages to think it was corrupt.

¹ The original iWork '09 DVD sourced applications had associated libraries installed in the operating system, and the Mac App Store sourced iWork '09 applications had these libraries internal to the application. The iWork 9.3 updater replaces the iWork '09 applications with versions that expect those system libraries, and they would not exist, causing the applications to fail.

May 27, 2022 1:03 PM in response to VikingOSX

WOW! Thank you and the others for your replies and your guidance. I absolutely feel like I am on the path to solving my problem.

I have had an unexpected event that has occupied much of my time and attention. I do expect to focus on and work on your instructions shortly, hopefully within the next few days or so. In the mean time, my plan is to copy any recent documents to a thumb drive and then restore a Time Machine backup. Since I only did that destructive iWork 9.3 update within the past few days prior to my initial post, I hope to undo the damage that I did. Well, at least some of it. Please let me know if you advise against my plan of the moment.

Thank you again!

Bruce

Pages corrupts documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.