You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport PCIe card

I need to know the appropriate airport card for my new 2009 Mac Pro. My machine is Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-Core

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 26, 2022 2:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 26, 2022 8:40 AM

What is max macOS version you plan to run? The firmware in a 2009 (4.1) can be updated to that of 5.1 and then if you use a metal capable GPU you can update the macOS version to Mojave,. Without metal capable GPU you can go to High Sierra.

However, wifi and maybe the bluetooth card that originally came with the 2009 will not work with Mojave and maybe High Sierra.

I had a 4.1>5.1 and install metal capable GPU and remember the wifi did not work but do not remember if the BT worked. Thus if you plan to go beyond 10.11make sure the new wifi/BT card is compatible with that macOS version. The power supply in the 4.1>5.1 died and I no longer use that Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 26, 2022 8:40 AM in response to mliravenice

What is max macOS version you plan to run? The firmware in a 2009 (4.1) can be updated to that of 5.1 and then if you use a metal capable GPU you can update the macOS version to Mojave,. Without metal capable GPU you can go to High Sierra.

However, wifi and maybe the bluetooth card that originally came with the 2009 will not work with Mojave and maybe High Sierra.

I had a 4.1>5.1 and install metal capable GPU and remember the wifi did not work but do not remember if the BT worked. Thus if you plan to go beyond 10.11make sure the new wifi/BT card is compatible with that macOS version. The power supply in the 4.1>5.1 died and I no longer use that Mac.

May 26, 2022 7:59 AM in response to mliravenice

Hi, mliravenice, the airport card you need is this one: ( see link) https://www.amazon.ca/Network-Card-BCM94322MC-Dual-Frequency-MB988Z/dp/B07XRQKWS6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3CGTS2E1FHL2O&keywords=2009+mac+pro+5%2C1+airport+card&qid=1653576134&refinements=p_72%3A11192169011&rnid=11192166011&s=electronics&sprefix=2009+mac+pro+5%2C1+airport+card%2Celectronics%2C188&sr=1-5… however installing it is somewhat tricky and kinda frustrating, requiring patience and a light touch…. You can get pci-e cards which would be easier to install plus they have more modern Wifi ( and probably bluetooth) built in…. And the antennas which would stick out the back of your mac would ensure better wifi reception… OSXWIFI also makes a great card for that… the only downside is the price, about $300..

that’s all i have to say for today

john b

Airport PCIe card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.