Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem importing video clips from my Sony RX100 to Apple Photos on a Mac Mini

Hi. I recently got a new Mac Mini with OS Monterey, and have had to move to the Photos app from iPhotos, which is what I was using on my old (2011) iMac.

All my photos and video clips transferred to Photos, and I can see and play both. However, when I attach my camera with new pictures and videos taken since the upgrade, it only imports photos - the videos do not appear in Photos at all. I can still see and play them on my camera, but also want them on my Mac Mini, ideally in my Photos app, so I can see and play them alongside my stills.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do about it? For example, do I have to set my camera up to record video in a different format, or something? Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 26, 2022 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2022 8:55 AM

This thread might help

AVCHD (.MTS) file import into macOS Photos - Apple Community

but I would reiterate what I posted there:

A note on AVCHD: This format was developed for people who are shooting to edit the material afterwards. If you're shooting to edit, then iMovie or Final Cut are the correct home for this material. If you're not shooting to edit consider using one of the other video formats on your Camera. 

I googled your camera and apparently you can also shoot mp4. So check the manual...

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2022 8:55 AM in response to The Fella

This thread might help

AVCHD (.MTS) file import into macOS Photos - Apple Community

but I would reiterate what I posted there:

A note on AVCHD: This format was developed for people who are shooting to edit the material afterwards. If you're shooting to edit, then iMovie or Final Cut are the correct home for this material. If you're not shooting to edit consider using one of the other video formats on your Camera. 

I googled your camera and apparently you can also shoot mp4. So check the manual...

May 26, 2022 7:57 AM in response to Yer_Man

No, unfortunately not. I have done a bit of research on this, and it looks like the video files are packaged in a different way on the camera than image files. This is probably what the issue is, although iPhoto didn't have a problem. There is an AVCHD file, but this is greyed out, so can't be opened, accessed or imported...

Problem importing video clips from my Sony RX100 to Apple Photos on a Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.