Related Article: Install memory in an iMac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install memory on my 21.5-inch 2017 iMac?

Hi,

There's nothing about installing memory on my 21.5-inch 2017 iMac (BigSur)...

• Processor 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
  • Memory 8GB 2133 MHz DDR 4

Can you help, please?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 26, 2022 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2022 7:38 AM

That iMac's memory is fixed when it is built and cannot be changed.

Fortunately 8 GB ought to be more than sufficient, but you can confirm that for yourself by using Activity Monitor: Use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support. If its unitless "Memory Pressure" graph is frequently "red" your Mac would benefit from additional memory. If not, it won't. It's that simple.

If your Mac is performing poorly, please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2022 7:38 AM in response to Mersorark

That iMac's memory is fixed when it is built and cannot be changed.

Fortunately 8 GB ought to be more than sufficient, but you can confirm that for yourself by using Activity Monitor: Use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support. If its unitless "Memory Pressure" graph is frequently "red" your Mac would benefit from additional memory. If not, it won't. It's that simple.

If your Mac is performing poorly, please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

May 26, 2022 8:28 AM in response to Mersorark

• Processor 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

You have the crippled "educational/institutional iMac with a slow laptop 2-core processor instead of the more capable 3.0mHz 4-core processor used in standard 4K iMac 27-inchers. It is never going to be fast.

The others are right: you have RAM slots but accessing them is a Pro job that require gutting the computer with the risk of damage to delicate parts. Even finding an Apple Authorized Service Provider or independent provide to do the work is not simple because some choose NOT to work on sealed-case iMacs. A local provider who will do the work told me he has the charge at least two hours labor on top of the cost of the RAM and a reseal kit. His labor is US$80/hour.

On top of that, adding any amount of RAM—other than a waste of money—would make no difference in apparent speed. 98% of all slow iMac complaints here turn out to be the slow and under-spec 2.5-inch laptop drives Apple chose to install as the base storage in all 2012-2019 21.5-inch iMacs.

One test is simply answering three questions:

• is the computer slow to boot?
  • Are many apps slow to launch
  • Once launched, do apps seem to run fine?

Three "yes" responses point accusingly to the well-known slow hard drive. A sequence of "yes-yes-no" answers could indicate something else but will need further testing. Let us know. You may still have cost-effective hardware options.

How to install memory on my 21.5-inch 2017 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.