Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Airport Extreme may be overheating" error message

I configured my network and the "Airport Extreme may be overheating" error message started showing up again with the status light flashing orange. I opened up the router and performed an extensive cleaning for it once, and I really don't think it's overheating anymore, if it ever did (don't try this unless you are convinced that dust is the issue, don't mind taking the chance to ruin your router, have infinite patience and a great video to help you). So in my case, I believe this is a software bug. What I end up doing to solve this issue every time it shows up for no reason is open the Airport Utility, go to the Disks tab, select "Turn on file sharing" and save. Then the base station restarts and the status light turns green. Then I do the same steps all over again and turn OFF file sharing and save again. Then the base station restarts, the light goes orange briefly again but quickly turns back to green and stays that way.

Let me know if this solved your issue.

AirPort

Posted on May 27, 2022 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 5:29 PM

Yes, that is the standard solution.

We have posted those details many times.

why is my airport extreme overheating? - Apple Community

Let me also point out that Time Capsule has the same problem and obviously turning off file sharing is a really bad idea.

I simply change DNS on the Internet Tab.

Add or subtract a secondary DNS or just change it .. usually public one like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1

Then click edit and go to Internet tab. And change secondary DNS to another value.

Here I changed to 8.8.8.8

After you update it will fix the overheat warning until next time an unplanned power failure causes the Airport to do a full reboot.

After update changes the value in nvram/plist it does a warm boot which is leaving off some tasks like checking temperature.

It is caused either by faulty sensor or faulty temp/fan controller chip. The temperature of the Airport is not actually higher than normal.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 5:29 PM in response to MichelA

Yes, that is the standard solution.

We have posted those details many times.

why is my airport extreme overheating? - Apple Community

Let me also point out that Time Capsule has the same problem and obviously turning off file sharing is a really bad idea.

I simply change DNS on the Internet Tab.

Add or subtract a secondary DNS or just change it .. usually public one like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1

Then click edit and go to Internet tab. And change secondary DNS to another value.

Here I changed to 8.8.8.8

After you update it will fix the overheat warning until next time an unplanned power failure causes the Airport to do a full reboot.

After update changes the value in nvram/plist it does a warm boot which is leaving off some tasks like checking temperature.

It is caused either by faulty sensor or faulty temp/fan controller chip. The temperature of the Airport is not actually higher than normal.

"Airport Extreme may be overheating" error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.