Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I remove the warning that my airport extreme may be overheating "this device may be overheating"?

how do I remove the warning that my airport extreme may be overheating "this device may be overheating"? It is triggering the Airport utility regularly. The device is working perfectly, although in the summer it did get quite hot which I'm sure triggered the message in the first place. I do not want to restore factory defaults if it can be avoided.

Thanks, Chris

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 12:20 PM

The problem is that the fan is located at the top of the case inside the AirPort Extreme. In the past, I have tried to vacuum the unit and also blow compressed air into the unit to try to get at the dust, but this has never worked.

Keep in mind that even if you replace the fan, that this is no guarantee that heat problem will be solved if the electronics themselves are starting to age. I was suggesting a clogged fan as a possible cause of the over heating, not as a sure fire remedy.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2022 12:20 PM in response to Pappa_moon

The problem is that the fan is located at the top of the case inside the AirPort Extreme. In the past, I have tried to vacuum the unit and also blow compressed air into the unit to try to get at the dust, but this has never worked.

Keep in mind that even if you replace the fan, that this is no guarantee that heat problem will be solved if the electronics themselves are starting to age. I was suggesting a clogged fan as a possible cause of the over heating, not as a sure fire remedy.

Nov 23, 2022 4:19 AM in response to Pappa_moon

Make sure that the AirPort Extreme is located in an open space with plenty of ventilation. You may need to add a small whisper fan to direct more air at the AirPort Extreme.

If the frequency of overheating messages begins to increase, this is a sign that the power supply inside the AirPort is starting to fail and that it is time to start looking for a new Wi-Fi router.

Nov 23, 2022 11:39 AM in response to Pappa_moon

Power off the AirPort Extreme for a few hours, then start it back up again. Or, if possible power down the AirPort Extreme late at night and let it sit overnight.

If you have the "tall" or "tower" version of the AirPort Extreme, the cooling fan inside the unit tends to get clogged with dust after 3-4 years of use. This reduces the cooling efficiency of the fan and the internal electronics on the AirPort Extreme start running hotter, even though the outside of the AirPort might seem barely warm to the touch.

It is a really tough job to replace the fan, but it can be done.

how do I remove the warning that my airport extreme may be overheating "this device may be overheating"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.