Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error when enabling remote login

I am not able to enable remote login from System Preferences > Sharing or terminal.

When I navigate to System Preferences > Sharing and click the checkbox to enable Remote Login, a yellow dot with the words "Remote Login starting..." displays but never displays any different message.

If I go to terminal and run

sudo systemsetup -setremotelogin on

I am prompted for my password and then given the following error message:

systemsetup[1605:13329] ### Error:-1 File:/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Admin/Admin-820.6/InternetServices.m Line:359

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 27, 2022 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 3:13 PM

Same here.

Having an issue with the blessed Podcasts app - I don't use it, it is signed out, no subscriptions but keeps launching!!

Anyway, going through the settings to see if there is anything I can do to get rid of the rubbish and when I got to my sharing setup I noticed all my settings were now off. Tried to turn remote login on, it just says it's starting but never does. Tried it via the command line and got the error you are seeing:

2022-06-15 23:00:27.055 systemsetup[19095:2031405] ### Error:-1 File:/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Admin/Admin-820.6/InternetServices.m Line:359

It did eventually turn on with:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ssh.plist

I don't know what has happened to Apple. They used to be amazing (user since 1989), nowadays they force you to upgrade, force unwanted software onto you that you can't remove, try to remove software you really do use (iTunes - thankfully retroactive put that back) and then each update manages to mess something else up. Sharing worked before this latest update was foisted upon us. Amazing that I got it as softwareupdate itself is forever refusing to work, since secupd 002 I think it was.

I'm stuck on Catalina because my Drobos won't work on anything later, Drobo blame Apple, Apple don't want to know!

Raised them all on Radar/Feedback Assistant, nothing. But then I raised the ios bug about restarting an ipad in landscape back on ios11 and it's still there, so not holding my breath.

*sigh*

"Apple. It just works"

Well, unless you actually want to use it for anything.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2022 3:13 PM in response to mxlytle

Same here.

Having an issue with the blessed Podcasts app - I don't use it, it is signed out, no subscriptions but keeps launching!!

Anyway, going through the settings to see if there is anything I can do to get rid of the rubbish and when I got to my sharing setup I noticed all my settings were now off. Tried to turn remote login on, it just says it's starting but never does. Tried it via the command line and got the error you are seeing:

2022-06-15 23:00:27.055 systemsetup[19095:2031405] ### Error:-1 File:/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Admin/Admin-820.6/InternetServices.m Line:359

It did eventually turn on with:

I don't know what has happened to Apple. They used to be amazing (user since 1989), nowadays they force you to upgrade, force unwanted software onto you that you can't remove, try to remove software you really do use (iTunes - thankfully retroactive put that back) and then each update manages to mess something else up. Sharing worked before this latest update was foisted upon us. Amazing that I got it as softwareupdate itself is forever refusing to work, since secupd 002 I think it was.

I'm stuck on Catalina because my Drobos won't work on anything later, Drobo blame Apple, Apple don't want to know!

Raised them all on Radar/Feedback Assistant, nothing. But then I raised the ios bug about restarting an ipad in landscape back on ios11 and it's still there, so not holding my breath.

*sigh*

"Apple. It just works"

Well, unless you actually want to use it for anything.

Jul 21, 2022 12:13 PM in response to Mark Armitage

macOS Catalina 10.15.07

Same issue

leads to

systemsetup[6308:48765] ### Error:-1 File:/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Admin/Admin-820.6/InternetServices.m Line:359

Did help me.

Thanx to Mark Armitage :)

Also SMB wont start anymore:

sudo launchctl load -F /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist

Helped with that.

Jun 1, 2022 9:50 AM in response to mxlytle

OK. Thanks for testing that and reporting back, mxlytle.

Next, to help rule out of the issue is related to your specific user profile, we'd recommend creating a test user profile. Log in to it, then see if you are able to enable Remote Login.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

We look forward to hearing how it goes.

Best regards.

Error when enabling remote login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.