Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which external HDD to buy with my Studio?

i am looking to purchase one or two external 5-6 TB HDDs that will be comparable with the Thunderbolt 4 ports. . Which are recommended?

Posted on May 27, 2022 1:12 PM

9 replies

May 27, 2022 2:19 PM in response to lllaass

Thank you. i will be using one for storage (transferring 3.25 TB of data from 2 different drives. I want to purchase another one in the future to be used just for Time Machine (or SuperDuper).

i was going to go with SSD, But after reading up on this, if an SSD fails, there is no way to recover data. At least with a spinner (HDD), you can get data recovered. I spoke with an Apple rep and they recommended the LaCie 8TB d2 Professional USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C External Hard Drive. i researched it; that particular external drive comes with a limited 5 year warranty and 5 year data recovery service. And she said that it is Thunderbolt-4 compatable. So i probably will be going with that.

May 28, 2022 4:44 AM in response to gladimsaved

Most work fine. For general storage I use a WD NVME drive for speed. It can be used with a 3.2 gen 2 enclosure or a TB enclosure if you want max speed but other brands will also work. For TM if you use a large drive then a mechanical drive is more cost effective than an SSD. The major advantage of an SSD for TM would be if/when you wanted to restore it would be faster and the initial TM backup on a new Mac would be much faster.

May 28, 2022 12:00 PM in response to lllaass

Oh wow, THAT is good to know that TM alternates between both drives hooked up! Maybe I will just stick with SuperDuper. I have 2 hard drives in my current Mid-2010 MacPro, set up to do smart back ups at different times.

When I do set up the Studio, I’m basically looking to put the info from those 2 drives onto one - basically for storage, ( and to get my programs off of it that I always use) and then add stuff to it as time goes on. i want the Studio to basically start out afresh, without s much on it, but will access files from there to work on and save on the studio. I have been using 2 different 3 TB Seagate drives (both are only about half full). Am amazed that those seagates have lasted so long and served me well. Thank you for your input!

which external HDD to buy with my Studio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.