Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free Anti Virus Software (Replacement for Sophos)

I have used the free version of Sophos on my mac for years and recently it looks like they've changed the platform to a paid version only. Does anyone know of a free or low-cost alternative? I have downloaded a couple already and as soon as they detect any type of issue they want you to sign up for a subscription in order to fix anything. Sophos was easy and free and took care of the basics. (I'm old school so I remember a time when mac users didn't even have to think about viruses and malware).

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 27, 2022 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 4:08 PM

And that time is now. There are mid-cycle releases of McOS that patch discovered vulnerabilities.

Nobody knows the latest structure of MacOS better than Apple, so any 3rd party that says they can identify all parts of MacOS that do not belong cannot be trusted, my opinion.

4 replies

May 28, 2022 5:53 PM in response to CCAPPL

(I'm old school so I remember a time when mac users didn't even have to think about viruses and malware).

Nothing has changed. There are no viruses that affect macOS. There have never been any and there never will be any.

It already protects itself from malware.

The following is the comprehensive list of non-Apple anti-malware products you require:

Free Anti Virus Software (Replacement for Sophos)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.