Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the disc you inserted is not readable by this computer

14-inch MacBook Pro running MacOS Monterey 12.4. Trying to copy an .MP3 audiobook disc to the computer using a Samsung Model SE506CB Portable Blu-ray Writer drive. This drive works flawlessly with a 2012 MacBook Pro running MacOS Mojave and a 2012 Mac Mini running MacOS Sierra. However, the 14-inch MacBook Pro returns the error message "The disc you entered is not readable by this computer." All of the potential solutions suggest changing the format of the drive - but this won't work with an external Blu-ray/CD drive. Any suggestions, hints, tips, or solutions that might help fix this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 27, 2022 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2022 10:57 AM

Are you connecting this drive directly to the computer? Maybe this drive requires more power than it is receiving from the laptop as some optical drives actually may require dual USB cables to supply enough power to the drive, or perhaps using a powered USB hub.

Also try booting the M1 laptop into Safe Mode to see whether you may have installed some third party software that is interfering with the normal operation of macOS.

Some drives just may not be compatible with an M1 Mac or perhaps not compatible with macOS 12.x Monterey. I have a first gen M1 Mac which won't work with certain USB or Thunderbolt devices, but older Intel Macs have no problems. I have yet to test with a 2nd gen M1 Mac.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2022 10:57 AM in response to Dr Bubba

Are you connecting this drive directly to the computer? Maybe this drive requires more power than it is receiving from the laptop as some optical drives actually may require dual USB cables to supply enough power to the drive, or perhaps using a powered USB hub.

Also try booting the M1 laptop into Safe Mode to see whether you may have installed some third party software that is interfering with the normal operation of macOS.

Some drives just may not be compatible with an M1 Mac or perhaps not compatible with macOS 12.x Monterey. I have a first gen M1 Mac which won't work with certain USB or Thunderbolt devices, but older Intel Macs have no problems. I have yet to test with a 2nd gen M1 Mac.

May 28, 2022 5:29 AM in response to Dr Bubba

Have you physically cleaned the disk? Since it's 100% plastic, warm water, mild dishwashing detergent and your fingers will do a very good job. Be sure it's completely dry with no lint before insertion.

Other than that, how old is it? Not all optical disks are archival quality and they do degrade over time.

Of course there's the usual question; is the drive designed to read the disk? Not all drives read all disks.

May 29, 2022 11:04 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks very much for your reply. I've tried connecting directly to the computer, and connecting using a hub, multiple cables, different discs in the drive, Same error message appears. The computer is essentially pristine, with only four third-party apps installed, none of which have anything to do with an external drive, so there is no conflict with third-party apps. At this point I'm thinking the drive itself is the problem - it appears to be incompatible with M1 Macs. I'm looking for a Blu-ray / CD / DVD reader/writer drive that will work with M1 Macs so I can see if that makes a difference, but haven't found one that would work of my use.

May 29, 2022 4:12 PM in response to Dr Bubba

Did you try a powered USB3 hub? Extra power may be needed, but a standard hub won't provide it unless the hub has its own power supply.

As long as those third party apps are not an anti-virus app, cleaning app, or third party security software, then you ware probably fine. However, some users have reported external drive issues when using a Wacom tablet.

Your best bet for a compatible drive would be from OWC. They have been around for decades providing compatible hardware for Macs. Plus if there is a problem, they will be one of the few vendors willing to help you and provide updates if necessary.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives

the disc you inserted is not readable by this computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.