Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 15 inch 2015 - insert CD in usb drive and system locks up

I am trying to insert an old CD (Halo) from 2002 into my usb attached CD/DVD drive. The drive spins up then finder locks up and only frees up if I unplug the CD drive ... drive works fine on my Thinkpad. Any suggestions?

The CD/DVD is macOS 10.3 compatible and shows up as HFSPlus in a "get info".

Has Apple pulled CD/DVD support?

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 8:55 AM

zslg01 wrote:

I am trying to insert an old CD (Halo) from 2002 into my usb attached CD/DVD drive. The drive spins up then finder locks up and only frees up if I unplug the CD drive ... drive works fine on my Thinkpad. Any suggestions?

Does not sound compatible— try a different cd/dvd drive and compare your results

Apple USB SuperDrive

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive

there is a share option:

Share DVDs and CDs on Mac - Apple Support

If the cd/dvd player is third party(?) contact your third party for update/compatible driver software(?)

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2022 8:55 AM in response to zslg01

zslg01 wrote:

Does not sound compatible— try a different cd/dvd drive and compare your results

Apple USB SuperDrive

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive

there is a share option:

Share DVDs and CDs on Mac - Apple Support

If the cd/dvd player is third party(?) contact your third party for update/compatible driver software(?)

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Apr 4, 2022 9:56 AM in response to leroydouglas

It works on audio CDs and worked on this MBP until Monterey ,,, Apple in their wisdom probably pulled some support unannounced --- by the way have you tried to use a floppy lately ... it was pulled several releases ago.

Maybe I can mount it up on my Linux server and copy it over as a .iso ...

[Edited by Moderator]

macbook pro 15 inch 2015 - insert CD in usb drive and system locks up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.