Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Numbers -- Why not add a function "Set equal to"?????

Numbers Pet Peeves

1) Why not add a function

"Set equal to" that would allow you to set the value of a cell to a value of your choice, including but not limited to, setting a check box from true to false, when either a condition is met OR a box is checked or a button is pressed? Why not add function buttons that would activate a cell's formula or a procedure such as sort or filter?

I don't see why it wouldn't be both useful and advantageous to have such.

Also, we need a time stamp which could be solved by the Set to -- Set To (cell reference) = now(), and then it wouldn't change unless it was Set again.

Posted on May 27, 2022 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 9:51 PM

If you have requests / recommendations for the Apple team you can always send them directly to Apple, please use Product Feedback - Apple or select this in your Numbers menu.

In this community we are all users that try to help other users, nobody from us has an impact on the content of future versions.

Until you get what you want:

To enter a time or date stamp you can use these key combinations, or select the menu "Table" and go down where you will find this.

The time / date stamp will be added to the current cell, it will not change until you do it again.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 9:51 PM in response to ScooterT

If you have requests / recommendations for the Apple team you can always send them directly to Apple, please use Product Feedback - Apple or select this in your Numbers menu.

In this community we are all users that try to help other users, nobody from us has an impact on the content of future versions.

Until you get what you want:

To enter a time or date stamp you can use these key combinations, or select the menu "Table" and go down where you will find this.

The time / date stamp will be added to the current cell, it will not change until you do it again.

May 30, 2022 3:47 AM in response to Ralf-F

Thank you for your response!

1) Thank you for updating me on the knowledge that's it's possible to insert current date / time via the drop down in the Table Menu. I hadn't noticed that feature. It pays to constantly explore what's new in every drop down all the time as I recently discovered mask with shapes was back -- maybe it's been back for a while, I just hadn't needed it in a while.

2) Thank you also for reminding me that we can make requests for features via the software itself that may actually reach the Apple engineers sooner rather than later. However, if more people mention something to Apple, they are more likely to wake up to the idea -- that's a fact, so if my post causes others to realize this would be a useful function and open a treasure trove of possibilities for Numbers users who already have this kind of possibility in the Seattle-based company software, then it's worth trying to get more supporters -- something which doesn't happen when one submits an idea directly to Apple.

Therefore, I hope other people will join me in asking for these features. We need to be able to have a sheet set the date and time stamp itself upon activation of a cell or sheet, and likewise be able to reset or set conditions of changeable data based on conditions. This will solve loads of problems and create wonderful new possibilities for using Numbers for all kinds of new things.

Apple Numbers -- Why not add a function "Set equal to"?????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.