Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing GMAIL folders on iPhone - but shows up everywhere else

Ok, this is infuriating. Just recently the GMAIL sub-folders have all gone AWOL on my iPhone 11 ProMax, running the Mail.app on iOS 15.5. On my older iPad Mini 2 running iOS 12.5.5 I was able to add the email account in question -- and the folders all show up properly. Same as my MacbookPro running 10.11.6, and my MacMini running the latest MacOS. I've deleted the Mail.app from the iPhone, did a restart, tried removing and adding back the email account -- nothing. At one point I was able to get the sub-folders to appear, by disabling "show in IMAP" for a parent folder in the GMAIL settings via a web browser. But after disabling the same for the sub-folders (dunno what I was aiming to do by doing so -- if it aint broke don't fix it -- but i fixed it alright, for good) -- I was unable to re-create the "bug" and now I can't see the sub-folders anymore.

Seems like a bad preferences or setting within the Mail.app -- but I don't understand why deleting the app doesn't completely wipe these bad settings/preferences (do they still use that word these days - "preferences" as in the old MacOS 6-9 days). Back in the day you could delete preferences files and the app would re-create them from scratch. This reinitialization process fixed many problems.

It seems that a complete nuclear option -- wipe the darn device is in order. A back-up seems out of the question too -- although I really wonder -- whether the bad corrupt preference files wouldn't be re-downloaded from the Cloud? That would suck.

Or -- maybe -- just MAYBE this is an iOS issue -- a bug that an exhaustive Google search doesn't show other people experiencing -- and it'll be fixed in the next update?

I'd gladly welcome any ideas.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on May 27, 2022 8:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 9:36 PM

Ok -- looks like either Apple or Google stuffed the pudding on this one. So I did the nuclear option -- fresh wipe (fortunately backed everything up before I did... we'll see how that goes in a minute) -- and fresh system. Added the email account and BOOM -- no sub folders.

I'm guessing the next iOS update will have the solution -- hopefully. Else it looks like I will have to move all my important emails out of nested folders so I can have access to these through the Mail app when I'm traveling overseas (coz, even Google's own GMAIL app is terrible for viewing stuff).

You had ONE job...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 9:36 PM in response to TheAnimaster

Ok -- looks like either Apple or Google stuffed the pudding on this one. So I did the nuclear option -- fresh wipe (fortunately backed everything up before I did... we'll see how that goes in a minute) -- and fresh system. Added the email account and BOOM -- no sub folders.

I'm guessing the next iOS update will have the solution -- hopefully. Else it looks like I will have to move all my important emails out of nested folders so I can have access to these through the Mail app when I'm traveling overseas (coz, even Google's own GMAIL app is terrible for viewing stuff).

You had ONE job...

May 28, 2022 6:08 AM in response to TheAnimaster

OK, after waking up the next morning I found the problem: bad UI design.

I'll get right to the solution: click on the small, blue, greater-than symbol on the folder. NOT the name of the folder, NOT the blank space either -- but the teeny, tiny, almost-pretty-much-insignificant SMALL, BLUE symbol. It will then expand down to show your sub-folders.

Poor UI design. In the past, these symbols were filled triangles, which were the universal symbol for "vertical expansion toggle".

Missing GMAIL folders on iPhone - but shows up everywhere else

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.