Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app sub folders disappeared

I have two iPhone X (one work and one personal) and have the same email address on both phones.

it’s an @outlook email address.

I got the error message saying I needed to re-enter the password, and when I re-entered it I kept getting an error message. So deleted the Mail Account and re-added it.

None of the sub folders have re-appeared.

They are still visible on my other phone.

And if I go into the Inbox and click to “move” it then shows the sub-folders there, so I can move messages to it. I just can’t see the folders!?!

what can I do?

I’ve tried adding the Mail Account as both Exchange and Outlook as the option.

I really need to be able to see them on my phone app.

iPhone X

Posted on May 15, 2022 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2022 11:14 PM

hi

Yes, I switched it off and went and had a brew before attempting to download the app again and re-add the accounts.

I’ve dug out my old iPhone 7 and got it on that for now. It will only on WiFi but that’s better than my current situation.

At the weekend I think I might need to resort to resetting my phone and starting from scratch 😩

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2022 11:14 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

hi

Yes, I switched it off and went and had a brew before attempting to download the app again and re-add the accounts.

I’ve dug out my old iPhone 7 and got it on that for now. It will only on WiFi but that’s better than my current situation.

At the weekend I think I might need to resort to resetting my phone and starting from scratch 😩

May 15, 2022 11:22 AM in response to Ampy-123

There are only two options I know of

1. Repeat the removal of the account, restart phone, and add the account back. Ensure "Mail" is toggled on in the account settings. or
  2. Uninstall the Mail app, restart the phone, then re-install from App Store. Thrn check the accounts are there (they should not disappear) and Msil is toggled on.

May 16, 2022 12:39 PM in response to LD150

I know, it’s just plain weird.

no vpn or security apps.

it’s like something has just changed within the Mail app.

I tried switching off the mail accounts and then deleted the app.

once I then re-added them the sub folder disappeared off my other iPhone.

I’ve managed to set the email account up on a spare iPhone that I can tether to, but it’s blinking frustrating that it’s just suddenly stopped working.

I’ve got about 20GB of storage left on the phone, as I did wonder at one point of storage was an issue.

my last resort is to delete all the mail accounts completely that I added and then delete the app. Then restart the phone and clear any network settings.

then try and add them again.

Failing that can I go in to apple do you think?

May 15, 2022 11:41 AM in response to LD150

I’ve removed and re-added a few times now. I’ve switched my phone off several times and reset network settings.

if I delete the mail app will it delete all my other email accounts? I don’t want to find myself in a worse off position as I’ve got quite a few email addresses with sub folders.

I’ve just found I’ve lost sub folders on another email address as well.

thanks

May 16, 2022 11:39 AM in response to LD150

I tried deleting it, but when I re-added the account I had the same problem.

what’s more frustrating is that when I did the removal of the app on my personal phone it has someone now removed the sub folders from my work phone as well. So now I’ve lost sub folders on both phones!

they are still on my laptop so I know they still exist.

and I’ve managed to add the email accounts on my husbands ipad without a problem, and also an old surplus iPhone.

what the heck is going on…

May 16, 2022 11:42 AM in response to Ampy-123

Ampy-123 wrote:

I tried deleting it, but when I re-added the account I had the same problem.
what’s more frustrating is that when I did the removal of the app on my personal phone it has someone now removed the sub folders from my work phone as well. So now I’ve lost sub folders on both phones!
they are still on my laptop so I know they still exist.
and I’ve managed to add the email accounts on my husbands ipad without a problem, and also an old surplus iPhone.
what the heck is going on…

Did you restart the phone after deleting the account and before re-adding it? That’s an essential step to prevent the re-added account from “finding the old (wrong) settings.

Mail app sub folders disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.