Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tap Forgot Passcode? I would if it existed...

ipad 4th generation

ios 14+

this article confidently states that you can click on "Tap Forgot Passcode?" if you have done just that, which I have. however this does not exist on this ipad, why is that?

Does Apple use their products lol!

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on May 28, 2022 6:24 PM

3 replies

May 29, 2022 3:30 AM in response to George--Glas

If you have forgotten the ScreenTime (a.k.a. Restrictions) passcode, one of the two procedures outlined within this link should resolve the problem:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of supporting iPadOS 13.x or later, you should update to the most current version before attempting to resolve a forgotten ScreenTime passcode. The more recent iPadOS updates have introduced a new mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can be reset without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data. In this situation, all locally stored data will be lost; you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

I hope this information is helpful to you in successfully resetting your forgotten passcode.

May 28, 2022 8:33 PM in response to George--Glas

You say you have an iPad 4th generation. If that is true, the highest level iOS version it can run is iOS 10.3.5. The ability to reset a forgotten Screentime Passcode was released with iOS 13.4, which an iPad 4th generation device is completely incapable of running.

As such, if you have forgotten your Screentime passcode, you must follow the directions for having forgotten the iPad passcode, which means the entire iPad must be erased and that means you will need to follow the directions in the link posted above entitled If you forgot your iPad passcode.

Tap Forgot Passcode? I would if it existed...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.