Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Paid Purchases from Child’s account in India

So, we have a nice family setup on iCloud. One of the accounts is a Child’s account. We had App Store Purchase sharing setup, using the organiser’s credit/debit card. Whenever someone in the family would make a purchase, the amount would be taken from the organiser’s credit/debit card. This worked well for years.

Now, recently the Indian government made changes to how transactions are processed. Consequently, Apple no longer supports store purchases using credit or debit cards in India anymore. Purchase sharing only worked with debit and credit cards, so it no longer works.

Now, for all Apple IDs in the family, what I have done is loaded some prepaid balance using the “add funds to Apple ID”. So everyone’s purchase is debited from their own Apple ID funds (Apple ID funds cannot be shared by the organiser to the rest of the family). This is not optimal, but works. Works for everyone except the child’s account. The child, being below 14 is not allowed to add funds to their Apple ID. And with purchase sharing gone, cannot use the organiser’s payment method either.

As I see it, there’s no way for a child account in India, now to make purchases anymore. Does anyone have any alternate way to do this?

Posted on May 28, 2022 10:28 PM

7 replies

May 29, 2022 11:37 PM in response to Tinoryls

So buying gift cards from the App Store is broken,

See this Apple article:  If you can't redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card

If you can't redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card - Apple Support

👉 Contact Apple Support

Contact Apple Support.

You might need to provide:

• An image of the full front and back of your card.
  • A sales receipt showing when your card was purchased.
  • The serial number from your card. 

May 30, 2022 11:12 AM in response to Tinoryls

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner. Pick the closest topic you can find.

Click here to send Feedback   -

May 29, 2022 7:35 PM in response to Raicya

So buying gift cards from the App Store is broken, too. It says I don’t have a payment method, whereas I have 2 payment methods which it doesn’t recognise, but are the only methods allowed now.

I purchased a gift card from a 3rd party vendor and was able to load the balance to the child’s account. Not optimal but is better than nothing.

Hope Apple makes it as seamless as before.

Paid Purchases from Child’s account in India

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.