Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Eliminate system photo library on Photos

Transfering to Photos on MBP 2021 Monterey from Aperture 3.6 iMac 2015 High Sierra. Test transferred small library which became System Photo Library. How to eliminate test system photo library? Still deciding how many libraries to have on Photos. Probably from 1-4. My test library will not be the system photo library. It may be one of the final 1-4 libraries. I may not even use iCloud Photos.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 28, 2022 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2022 3:39 AM

As far as I know you must have a system library for the photos app.

Many processes will use this as a default.

But you can designate any photos library to the current system library.

Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

I would recommend the following:

1. Designate one photos library as system library
  2. Delete the library that you no longer need

Before you change anything I would recommend that you run a full backup of the system, worst case you can restore the old status.

Ralf

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2022 3:39 AM in response to Mezcalero

As far as I know you must have a system library for the photos app.

Many processes will use this as a default.

But you can designate any photos library to the current system library.

Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

I would recommend the following:

1. Designate one photos library as system library
  2. Delete the library that you no longer need

Before you change anything I would recommend that you run a full backup of the system, worst case you can restore the old status.

Ralf

May 29, 2022 8:10 AM in response to Mezcalero

The System Photos Library is necessary, if you want to access photos from other applications in the Photos Browser or media browser, for sharing photos or using them as the Desktop or Screensaver or use it with iCloud Photos. Only one of your libraries can be the System photos Library. All photos you need to access from other applications should be stored in the System Photos Library. You don't need to have a system Photos Library, but the Photos background processes will be looking for one, as soon as you log into your user account.

Eliminate system photo library on Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.