You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirTag prompt to update Apple ID settings

When I try to connect my AirTag to my new iPhone an error message appears saying I have to update my Apple ID security settings

I have 2FA active

changed Apple ID password

logged out and back in from iPhone

reset network settings

still have the same issue

any suggestions?

Posted on May 29, 2022 1:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 10:24 AM

thanks for all the useful info

yes the Apple ID was the same it was just the device that has been changed

interesting thing is that within few days the issue resolved alone and I was able to pair it again having changed nothing about my Apple ID, the prompt was about security when I got the error message, almost like I didn’t have 2FA but, who knows 🙃

probably just the system not recognising the Apple ID on a different serialised device or something like that 👍🏻

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2022 10:24 AM in response to brbo

thanks for all the useful info

yes the Apple ID was the same it was just the device that has been changed

interesting thing is that within few days the issue resolved alone and I was able to pair it again having changed nothing about my Apple ID, the prompt was about security when I got the error message, almost like I didn’t have 2FA but, who knows 🙃

probably just the system not recognising the Apple ID on a different serialised device or something like that 👍🏻

May 30, 2022 6:40 PM in response to Applebb99

Hi Applebb99,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Wondering if you registered your AirTag with your Apple ID ?

See Apple Support's article (link below):

Set up your AirTag using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

:(NB: Article says: If you have a Managed Apple ID, you can't set up an AirTag.)

If needed:

How to find the serial number of an AirTag - Apple Support

Add an AirTag in Find My on iPhone – Apple Support

All the best :-)

AirTag prompt to update Apple ID settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.