Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your disk is almost" full notice

Can I move some of MacMail to iCloud to free up storage? And if so, how do I do that? I get a notice that my disk on my MacBook Air is almost full-one of the bigger users is Mail. I've deleted and trashed hundreds of old mails, but it barely makes a dent. I don't want to delete all the old emails/w photos attached. What do you suggest?

MacBook Air

Posted on May 29, 2022 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2022 1:53 PM

iCloud is not a backup on MacOS; it is simply a syncing mechanism. That means if you delete it on your Mac, it will also be deleted in iCloud.

You need to move some space hogging files such as videos, movies, photos. Get an xternal hard drive, move their libraries and then delete them from your Mac.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2022 1:53 PM in response to Halle

iCloud is not a backup on MacOS; it is simply a syncing mechanism. That means if you delete it on your Mac, it will also be deleted in iCloud.

You need to move some space hogging files such as videos, movies, photos. Get an xternal hard drive, move their libraries and then delete them from your Mac.

May 31, 2022 1:12 PM in response to Halle

Not that I know of. For the future, you may want to save the pic in a folder immediately - you can have that folder on an external drive.

And, go through your videos, movies, etc to move those libraries to an external drive. The storage space on a computer is not expandable, so keep track of how you fill it up. And, the OS needs a minimum of 15 - 20 GB of empty space all the time to be able to function properly - if you fill it up completely, your computer will stop functioning.

"Your disk is almost" full notice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.