Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it easier to transfer information from an old iMac to a new iMac by wifi or cable

Hi Hope that everyone is keeping safe and well. I have just bought a new iMac 24-inch Silver iMac with 4.5K Retina display.

I need to transfer all my information from my old iMac to my new one.

I am not good with technical jargon, can anyone tell me how to do this, the easy way please. Is there anyway to connect the old iMac with the new one

Thanks a million

Posted on May 29, 2022 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2022 2:19 PM

The easiest is to use your (Time Machine) backup on an external drive; plug that in and use Setup Assistant during the initial setup. Second best is to use the same drive and Migration Assistant after you have already set up the new one. The worst is to try to use Wifi - it can take a week.

You do have a backup on an external drive?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2022 2:19 PM in response to James Mcmullan1

The easiest is to use your (Time Machine) backup on an external drive; plug that in and use Setup Assistant during the initial setup. Second best is to use the same drive and Migration Assistant after you have already set up the new one. The worst is to try to use Wifi - it can take a week.

You do have a backup on an external drive?

is it easier to transfer information from an old iMac to a new iMac by wifi or cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.