Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad stolen and only works off WiFi.How to locate?

iPad stolen and only works off WiFi. So it’s offline and can’t track it. How will it get locked with my msg from the find my phone app if they don’t know the passcode to get in and set up WiFi to make internet work? And then so my iPad locks and sends msg? Can they even use it or get into it without passcode? If they get into it and setup their WiFi, will I be able to track it and then it locks with my message? Any ideas how I can find it?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 29, 2022 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 8:33 AM

NikijW_Need_Help wrote:

iPad stolen and only works off WiFi. So it’s offline and can’t track it. How will it get locked with my msg from the find my phone app if they don’t know the passcode to get in and set up WiFi to make internet work? And then so my iPad locks and sends msg? Can they even use it or get into it without passcode? If they get into it and setup their WiFi, will I be able to track it and then it locks with my message? Any ideas how I can find it?

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active with a network connection, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours - the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical all means to locate the iPad are unavailable.

However, nobody can access your iPad or access any data unless they have your Passcode. Should anyone finding your iPad attempt to enter a Passcode, they will have only a limited number of attempts to enter the correct code before the iPad will become disabled - at which point nobody will be able to access any locally stored data.

As you correctly observe, unless your WiFi Only iPad has an active WiFi connection, it can neither determine nor transmit its location. However, any attempt to fully reset your iPad will require the iPad to establish a network connection before it will activate - and will trigger an Activation Lock that, until satisfied by the owner, cannot be bypassed.

You iPad will therefore remain unusable - and will have been fully wiped of all data.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 8:33 AM in response to NikijW_Need_Help

NikijW_Need_Help wrote:

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active with a network connection, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours - the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical all means to locate the iPad are unavailable.

However, nobody can access your iPad or access any data unless they have your Passcode. Should anyone finding your iPad attempt to enter a Passcode, they will have only a limited number of attempts to enter the correct code before the iPad will become disabled - at which point nobody will be able to access any locally stored data.

As you correctly observe, unless your WiFi Only iPad has an active WiFi connection, it can neither determine nor transmit its location. However, any attempt to fully reset your iPad will require the iPad to establish a network connection before it will activate - and will trigger an Activation Lock that, until satisfied by the owner, cannot be bypassed.

You iPad will therefore remain unusable - and will have been fully wiped of all data.

May 29, 2022 9:57 PM in response to NikijW_Need_Help

NikijW_Need_Help Said:

"iPad stolen and only works off WiFi.How to locate?"

-------

About the Passcode:

The passcode is a theft deterrent. So, even ig they are back in, it will be locked, as soon as it connects to Apple's servers. Once you get it back, you will need to unlock it by going through Apple, as I've explained here: I forgot my iPad pass code - Apple Community

Locating a Lost iPad:

A. Go Here: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is Lost or Stolen - Apple Support

B. Lost-&-Found:

Chick with the Lost & Found department of the facility you were in, seeing if it has been handed over.

C. Contact Local Authorities:

See if the community police, or local security guards at the front door, can across it.

D. Use Craigslist:

Put a post on Craigslist, seeing if they have been found.

iPad stolen and only works off WiFi.How to locate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.