Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to un-iCloud storage of Documents and Desktop

Documents and Desktop from one of my Macs are now suddenly in iCloud. How do I get it back on the Mac?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 30, 2022 3:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 8:27 AM

See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Turn off Desktop and Documents

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  3. Deselect Desktop & Documents Folders.
  4. Click Done.

What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents

When you turn off Desktop & Documents Folders, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new Desktop and Documents folder is created on your Mac in the home folder. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Berthe Willumsen

See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Turn off Desktop and Documents

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  3. Deselect Desktop & Documents Folders.
  4. Click Done.

What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents

When you turn off Desktop & Documents Folders, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new Desktop and Documents folder is created on your Mac in the home folder. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them.

May 30, 2022 10:48 AM in response to FoxFifth

Thank you, FoxFifth. I can, most certainly, do that. But. How come the transition to iCloud can take place without my knowledge and without my active transfer from A to B, but automation of the reverse is not doable? It happened, I believe, in connection with an update to the newest OS, and left me totally confused between my other non-hard disk storages. I tried unselecting the (was it ‘store’?) desktop and documents in iCloud, and nothing happened - as you explain. I expected a reversal. Maybe not instant, but gradual and observable. When that did not happen, I asked for help - and got it from you, with the understanding that no, not automatically. I thank you again, but am now puzzled, rather than frustrated….

Jun 3, 2022 4:29 AM in response to Berthe Willumsen

Apple did provide a way to keep your files away from icloud, but the are being as usual a little disingenuous, during your update, you probable say a black screen with a white box with only one blue OK button, this states your files will be moved to the cloud, it appears to be the only way to proceed, this is their attempt at storage expansion in the future if you do not do change now

How to un-iCloud storage of Documents and Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.