Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

saving family videos to iMovie to share with family

I am moving all my family videos to digital. I will be using iMovie to connect all my videos into one. How do I send the final project to family members without using internet or clouds. Can I burn it to a DVD or put on a flash drive?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 30, 2022 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 2:17 PM

Easiest way is to drag the composite video to a thumb drive and then transfer the thumb drive to your family members. You may need to make several thumb drives according to the number of people to whom you will be sending it. If the thumb drive will be played on both Apple and Windows devices, then you should format the thumb drive in the ExFat format. If only to be played on Apple devices, then you can format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Burning to a disc would work as well, if you have a DVD burner and some standard DVD discs. If your movie is less than the 4.67 GB size of a standard DVD, you can use the burn program on your Mac to burn a data DVD (see Finder Help menu instructions). However, data DVDs likely will only play on a computer and not in a standard DVD player. Movies larger than 4.67 GB in size would need to be burned with DVD authoring software that can compress a larger movie to fit on a standard DVD. Authored discs will play on both a computer or standard DVD player. Apple's authoring program, iDVD, has been discontinued. Others on this forum have recommended DVD Creator by peng GUIPING as a replacement. I believe that you can purchase it for about $14.97 from the online App store.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 2:17 PM in response to lpandh

Easiest way is to drag the composite video to a thumb drive and then transfer the thumb drive to your family members. You may need to make several thumb drives according to the number of people to whom you will be sending it. If the thumb drive will be played on both Apple and Windows devices, then you should format the thumb drive in the ExFat format. If only to be played on Apple devices, then you can format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Burning to a disc would work as well, if you have a DVD burner and some standard DVD discs. If your movie is less than the 4.67 GB size of a standard DVD, you can use the burn program on your Mac to burn a data DVD (see Finder Help menu instructions). However, data DVDs likely will only play on a computer and not in a standard DVD player. Movies larger than 4.67 GB in size would need to be burned with DVD authoring software that can compress a larger movie to fit on a standard DVD. Authored discs will play on both a computer or standard DVD player. Apple's authoring program, iDVD, has been discontinued. Others on this forum have recommended DVD Creator by peng GUIPING as a replacement. I believe that you can purchase it for about $14.97 from the online App store.

-- Rich

saving family videos to iMovie to share with family

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.