Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whole Photo Library Greyed out for import / backup second drive

I'm using Catalina on my late 2013 iMac. When I try open my main library and try to import, the 'Review for Import' window shows that both of the libraries I am trying to import are greyed out.

I have renamed them so is this an issue - I can open both libraries independently on the same computer plus my main library?

BTW my old Segate remote drive where I stored all my photos catastrophically failed and it was unable to be repaired. Fortunately, I had an old backup, so I only lost 2 years, hence I am amalgamating libraries.

Have you any recommendations for backing up a second remote drive in addition to a Time Machine Remote Drive, as I think Time Machine only backs up the main drive?

iMac 21.5″, 10.15

Posted on May 31, 2022 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2022 7:46 AM

You need to upgrade to macOS 12 Monterey to be able to import directly from a Photos Library (but that is not possible for an 2013 iMac). And even in Photos 7 on Monterey you cannot import photos from an iCloud Photos Library. See: Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

On older system versions you can merge libraries only by exporting from one library (Combine libraries in Photos - Apple Support) and then importing the exported photos or merging your libraries in iCloud or using Power Photos to merge the libraries - you may want to look at this user tip: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries, 2019 V… - Apple Community

Time Machine can backup several drives, not only your system volume. The only volume it cannot back up ist the Time Machine volume. Your second drive will be included in the Time Machine backup, if it is not in the exclude list for Time Machine in the System Preferences > Time Machine > Options.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2022 7:46 AM in response to Deeqs

You need to upgrade to macOS 12 Monterey to be able to import directly from a Photos Library (but that is not possible for an 2013 iMac). And even in Photos 7 on Monterey you cannot import photos from an iCloud Photos Library. See: Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

On older system versions you can merge libraries only by exporting from one library (Combine libraries in Photos - Apple Support) and then importing the exported photos or merging your libraries in iCloud or using Power Photos to merge the libraries - you may want to look at this user tip: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries, 2019 V… - Apple Community

Time Machine can backup several drives, not only your system volume. The only volume it cannot back up ist the Time Machine volume. Your second drive will be included in the Time Machine backup, if it is not in the exclude list for Time Machine in the System Preferences > Time Machine > Options.

Whole Photo Library Greyed out for import / backup second drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.