Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari No Longer Auto Opening PDF Files

Since the software update to Big Sur this last week, PDFs I download from websites not only no longer auto-open, but I get a message saying the pdf file can't be opened because I don't have permission to view it.

When you look at the Get Info of the PDF I certainly DO have permission to read & write, and it opens just fine if I open it directly.

This is happening on ALL PDF downloads from ALL sources and its only the auto-open function that is the issue.

Yes, I have "Open safe files after downloading" checked in preferences, as that hasn't changed.

Any ideas of what's happened since the update to OS 11.6.6 and Safari 15.5?

Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 31, 2022 7:04 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jun 1, 2022 11:20 AM in response to EdgemontFarm

Thanks for replying, EdgemontFarm, and that additional info, it really helps! First, try running First Aid on your hard drive with the built in Disk Utility tool, as this can correct simple issues like you're experiencing.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode - Apple Support

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Jun 1, 2022 11:15 AM in response to Sparks0829

I have always had my preferences set for pdf downloads to open in Preview and open automatically on download.

Nothing has changed except the update to Big Sur that was released May 16. Ever since, they do not open automatically and instead I get a pop up telling me I don't have permissions to read it (which I do.)

I CAN open them from the desktop, its just an annoying extra step and obviously something wrong that generates the no permission error message.

Jun 6, 2022 10:11 AM in response to jdo_apple

Thanks for trying to help, ado_apple, but I did Disk Repair with no issues and booted into Safe Mode several times with really strange experience (I've been a Mac user for 30 years and never had this):

Boot into Safe Mode

Try to open a pdf or png from inside an email

Preview launches and then the whole screen freezes. The mouse is movable but highlights and can click nothing;

Then the whole screen goes black for a second and takes me back to the Log In Screen!

I logged in again - still in Safe Mode.

It did this 3 times.

Finally it DID open the attachment from inside mail but froze again and took me back to the Login Screen.

This time I just restarted with no Safe Mode and it still will not let me open an attachment with Preview from inside an email (or opening automatically from a download).

I can drag onto desktop and open it just fine, but this is frustrating because I spend most of my work opening and printing attached pdf bills, etc.

I am the only user of this Mac and nothing at all has changed except the update to the Big Sur OS as reference in my original post above. No weird apps or updates or installs, no crazy emails or texts, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jun 15, 2022 1:19 PM in response to EdgemontFarm

This is still a problem for me. I cannot open pdfs from within Mail. One did work this morning and I didn't even realise. Now I cannot open that one again. Worse in a way, I cannot Open in Preview a web page for downloading a PDF. I have had Big Sur for a while. This must be some recent upgrade. I have 2015 MBP.

Is Apple listening or looking at this....?? I'm not doing the safe mode caper. There is nothing wrong my end.

Jun 15, 2022 2:01 PM in response to EdgemontFarm

I just got an email from this discussion (but its not showing up here!) - from RichardGM2.

You do not have to do Safe Mode or anything else.

Just go to Apple in the upper left corner>System Preferences>Software Update. It might show you Monterey is available, but under that it should say there are more updates. If you click that "more updates" it should open the window I showed above that shows you there's a new Big Sur update 11.6.7 that fixes this issue.

You currently actually CAN open the previews from inside mail or a download, but you'd have to quit Preview each time.

This new update puts it back how its supposed to function - where a Preview opens from inside mail or as an auto download regardless of whether Preview was already running.

Try to install the Update 11.6.7 and see if it solves.

(and now your reply appeared in this discussion string - LOL)

Safari No Longer Auto Opening PDF Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.