Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tattoo prevents "always on feature" from functioning

I purchased my S7 watch back in November. The Always on Function did not work. I exchanged it for another one and same thing. I spent endless time on the phone with Apple Support and they finally recommended getting a new phone. I reluctantly did, only to find out the watch still didn't work as advertised.

Within the last week one of my co-workers said that my full sleeve tattoo may have something to do with it. I have black ink and the watch was over my tattooed portion of my wrist. When I changed it to the opposite wrist, it worked as it was supposed to.

After two watches, a new phone and hours with customer support this is what fixed it. I am shocked that Apple doesn't even know about this or suggested it.

Word to the wise!!! If you have a FULL sleeve tattoo and the watch sits over the inked portion. Your watch may not stay on all the time.

Apple wake up!!! This could've determined months ago.

Apple Watch Series 7, watchOS 8

Posted on May 31, 2022 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2022 11:48 AM

Apple says on their support page;

Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2022 11:48 AM in response to AHF6096

Apple says on their support page;

Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.

Jun 14, 2022 8:49 AM in response to AHF6096

Same, just got mine few days ago, noticed that phone kept asking to put my code in. Tried the heart feature and couldn't detect anything. My left wrist has black ink so I switched to my right, which I also have tats but they are light colors. Worked perfect. Now just need to get used to having it on my right. After researching, Apple has been aware of this for years. It can detect oxygen levels in your blood but can't work around a tattoo smh

Jun 14, 2022 5:25 PM in response to RPJ209

Its crazy. I literally returned my first watch, got a second one. Spent hours on the phone with apple support re-booting my previous phone from scratch just to have it not work. Purchased a new phone and to find out it was all just switching wrist.

Apple definitely lost some points with me on this as it was such an easy fix.

Thank you for your input and enjoy your new watch!

Tattoo prevents "always on feature" from functioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.