Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey on iMac still slow and I did every trick

I did absolutely everything recommended to speed up response time in Monterey 12.4 and it is still slow. Should I downgrade? I like the OS, but it is blindingly fast on my MacBook, agonizingly slow on the iMac.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019), 3.1 GHz 8-core Intel Core i9, 64 GB RAM

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020), 16 GB RAM

The laptop is running OS 12.3.1. I am afraid to upgrade to 12.4 because it's so much faster than the desktop. Supposedly the M1 chip is 50-70% faster than the Intel, but what I am seeing is more like 200% faster or more.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 31, 2022 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 7:06 PM

Carol in Chicago wrote:

It's not a SSD. It's a 4TB 5400RPM HDD. I'm going to take the computer to the Genius Bar tomorrow to see what replacing the drive will cost.

I replaced the 5400 rpm HDD in a 2016 iMac with an SSD. The SSD I chose is this one: Samsung - 870 EVO 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive. It cost about $100. I used an Apple Authorized Service Provider (not the Apple Store) to do the drive replacement and it cost about $50 for the technician labor. With Monterey and APFS, the new SSD is about 20-50 times faster than the HDD, nothing else was changed (still has just 8 GB memory and does great). It's almost like a new computer.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2022 7:06 PM in response to Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago wrote:

It's not a SSD. It's a 4TB 5400RPM HDD. I'm going to take the computer to the Genius Bar tomorrow to see what replacing the drive will cost.

I replaced the 5400 rpm HDD in a 2016 iMac with an SSD. The SSD I chose is this one: Samsung - 870 EVO 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive. It cost about $100. I used an Apple Authorized Service Provider (not the Apple Store) to do the drive replacement and it cost about $50 for the technician labor. With Monterey and APFS, the new SSD is about 20-50 times faster than the HDD, nothing else was changed (still has just 8 GB memory and does great). It's almost like a new computer.

Monterey on iMac still slow and I did every trick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.