Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firmware Lock Activated by mistake and no solution

Hello! I need some assistance. I have a MacBook Pro 2019. It's actually my fiancé's. anyway, we moved into our new apartment, and she brought her Mac. we managed to accidentally set off the Firmware lock prior to getting our Wi-Fi up and running. We've tried calling support, no luck from them, going into the store, they require a vendor receipt for proof of purchase. I'm not sure about anyone else but how about you go find a receipt from 3 years ago among hundreds of others you don't keep on you. We've tried many other things such as attempting key combos and such, however no matter what we try we cannot access anything. not even recovery mode. we've tried every password it could've possibly been, even her parents' passwords even though they've never even logged into it, but you never know I suppose. Long story short I've tried everything aside from popping it open. I understand if there's a warranty it will become void. While I don't believe they even have one, I know Apple likes to make their devices impossible to work on yourself and I don't want to break anything. any advice is appreciated

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 4:21 PM

The only way to remove the firmware lock without the password, is by providing Apple with the necessary proof of purchase and valid ID. Unfortunately that is the only way since Apple considers a firmware lock a security feature. Apple won't disable a security feature without knowing with 100% certainty that you are the legal owner of the device.

As long as you can boot to the internal SSD, then the laptop will remain functional. The firmware lock will only prevent you from accessing any other special startup keys without the firmware password. If this laptop is not able to boot to the internal SSD, then you can try "Restoring" the T2 firmware to see if that will remove the firmware lock. I doubt this will work though as it does involve a special set of startup keys to put the laptop into DFU Mode and it requires access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+. Don't try this option unless your Mac is currently unbootable since I don't know what will happen. If this Mac is currently unbootable, then you really don't have anything to lose. If this works, then this option will also destroy all data on the internal SSD.

If this laptop is still booting and working, then I highly recommend having a good backup now while you still can access the data. In fact, I highly recommend having at least backup where you have the files stored on external media that is accessible by any OS or device.

You can always provide Apple with product feedback here (Apple will not respond):

Product Feedback - Apple

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2022 4:21 PM in response to SleeSp2000

The only way to remove the firmware lock without the password, is by providing Apple with the necessary proof of purchase and valid ID. Unfortunately that is the only way since Apple considers a firmware lock a security feature. Apple won't disable a security feature without knowing with 100% certainty that you are the legal owner of the device.

As long as you can boot to the internal SSD, then the laptop will remain functional. The firmware lock will only prevent you from accessing any other special startup keys without the firmware password. If this laptop is not able to boot to the internal SSD, then you can try "Restoring" the T2 firmware to see if that will remove the firmware lock. I doubt this will work though as it does involve a special set of startup keys to put the laptop into DFU Mode and it requires access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+. Don't try this option unless your Mac is currently unbootable since I don't know what will happen. If this Mac is currently unbootable, then you really don't have anything to lose. If this works, then this option will also destroy all data on the internal SSD.

If this laptop is still booting and working, then I highly recommend having a good backup now while you still can access the data. In fact, I highly recommend having at least backup where you have the files stored on external media that is accessible by any OS or device.

You can always provide Apple with product feedback here (Apple will not respond):

Product Feedback - Apple

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Firmware Lock Activated by mistake and no solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.