Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally Erased my Mac Mini Firmware Lock Activated, Apple Does not Consider this popular Auction Website Transactions as Valid?

If Firmware password accidentally was set to on, could this be the result of a faulty circuit coming from the electricity? More specifically, the CMOS battery needing to be replaced?

Apple store wanted me to get the original proof of purchase, even though its a total privacy breach for me to do so, against the person on someBay.com (the seller) who sold me the Mac mini. Against the wishes of the seller, I was able to do a store visit at a location thousands of miles away, and they complied with my request to look up serial number of the device because Apple requires the original purchase receipt.

To my dismay, my first attempt with Apple genus said that since the name of the purchaser does not match mine, they would still not assist me with this firmware lock.

Some proof that I did have possession of the computer in question. Serial number may be provided upon request.

This is a screenshot of my experience using FindMy. As you can see, there are some defects noticeable within the image at the time the photo was taken.

Original photo.

There are solutions on some website I found that are for EFI firmware removal.

I have spent over 40 hours troubleshooting this, and have now travelled to 2 Apple technicians, and both of them were not able to resolve this issue.

What Do?

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 4:55 AM

The firmware lock does not stop you usingr a Mac but it prevents it being started up from anything other than the internal disk without the password. Evidently the vendor set this lock. You didn't notice it until you erased the disk: now you can only proceed by starting from an installer volume, which the lock prevents you from doing.

Your beef is with the vendor who should not have sold you a locked device. Since he set the lock (there is no likelihood of it being some sort of electical glitch) he should (in theory) know the password and should provide you with it.

If he can't or won't do this you have a case for demanding a refund. However using an auction site makes this difficult: it would depend on the policy of the auction site and they may well not accept responsibility.

As with Activation Lock I would expect Apple not to unlock a device other than for the original owner and then only with full purchase documentation. Their reaction to you would tend to confirm this. In general Apple won't get involved with second-hand devices other than a straightforward paid-for repair.

Your first step is, if possible, to contact the vendor and demand either the password or your money back. Failing that you should approach the auction site and enquire about their policy in cases like this.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2021 4:55 AM in response to Ren Nakanote

The firmware lock does not stop you usingr a Mac but it prevents it being started up from anything other than the internal disk without the password. Evidently the vendor set this lock. You didn't notice it until you erased the disk: now you can only proceed by starting from an installer volume, which the lock prevents you from doing.

Your beef is with the vendor who should not have sold you a locked device. Since he set the lock (there is no likelihood of it being some sort of electical glitch) he should (in theory) know the password and should provide you with it.

If he can't or won't do this you have a case for demanding a refund. However using an auction site makes this difficult: it would depend on the policy of the auction site and they may well not accept responsibility.

As with Activation Lock I would expect Apple not to unlock a device other than for the original owner and then only with full purchase documentation. Their reaction to you would tend to confirm this. In general Apple won't get involved with second-hand devices other than a straightforward paid-for repair.

Your first step is, if possible, to contact the vendor and demand either the password or your money back. Failing that you should approach the auction site and enquire about their policy in cases like this.

Accidentally Erased my Mac Mini Firmware Lock Activated, Apple Does not Consider this popular Auction Website Transactions as Valid?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.