Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scam activation lock

Hello, I'm pretty new to apple ecosystem, I'm using it for 2 years (at least my macbook). I didn't know that there is a feature Apple has (Find my) so you can "brick" any device where you are logged in with your apple id.

The case:

I decided to move from Intel to M1 mac and bought 13 inch mac and tried to sell my old macbook (intel).

Some time later I got a call from potential buyer (but it was a scammer), he asked me pretty common questions about mac I'm selling and he asked if it's reset. Indeed I reset this mac before selling, so he asked me to check battery health, and he suggested me to enter his apple id credentials so he can check it's working on his side.

After I've entered his credentials my mac just went offline and asked me to enter a pin. Five minutes later he called me again and asked for 150$ to unlock the device. I denied, because he can't guarantee he will unlock it.

After that I've tried to reset apple controller with Apple configurator app (using my new M1 mac). After that pin screen disappeared but when I tried to connect to wifi and start internet recovery then nothing happens (it connects to wifi and just does nothing).

Could you please help me with this?

PS: I have packaging box, payment receipts (I bought it in 2019) and a screenshot with apple id I entered and password I got from the scammer.

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 3:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 8:20 AM

Of course it is a scam. Why would you ever create a user account for someone you don't know? Here is all you have to do before selling a Mac:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 1, 2021 8:33 AM in response to Artem_Fedorov

Artem_Fedorov wrote:

Hello, I'm pretty new to apple ecosystem, I'm using it for 2 years (at least my macbook). I didn't know that there is a feature Apple has (Find my) so you can "brick" any device where you are logged in with your apple id.
The case:
I decided to move from Intel to M1 mac and bought 13 inch mac and tried to sell my old macbook (intel).
Some time later I got a call from potential buyer (but it was a scammer), he asked me pretty common questions about mac I'm selling and he asked if it's reset. Indeed I reset this mac before selling, so he asked me to check battery health, and he suggested me to enter his apple id credentials so he can check it's working on his side.

After I've entered his credentials my mac just went offline and asked me to enter a pin. Five minutes later he called me again and asked for 150$ to unlock the device. I denied, because he can't guarantee he will unlock it.

After that I've tried to reset apple controller with Apple configurator app (using my new M1 mac). After that pin screen disappeared but when I tried to connect to wifi and start internet recovery then nothing happens (it connects to wifi and just does nothing).

Could you please help me with this?

PS: I have packaging box, payment receipts (I bought it in 2019) and a screenshot with apple id I entered and password I got from the scammer.

If you can't unlock your Mac

After you locate your Mac, you can unlock it by entering the passcode that you created when you locked it with Find My.

If you can't remember that passcode, you have three options:

• Sign in to iCloud.com/find, then select your Mac from the Devices menu. Select Unlock and follow the steps to verify your identity.
  • Unlock your Mac from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch using your device passcode.
  • Take your Mac to an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with your proof of purchase.

If your Mac is lost or stolen

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204756

Activation Lock for Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208987

Sep 2, 2021 9:07 AM in response to Artem_Fedorov

Artem_Fedorov wrote:

I told you Im new to apple ecosystem, previously I used windows and linux, and everything was ok. I think apple should provide some defence against such a scam, for example before activating find my app, a customer should accept activation lock policy on the device (only once while a setup).

Did you get this issue resolve..?

Scam activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.