Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod as a default TV speaker (using ARC)

Hello, i own Apple TV 4K 2. gen and plan buying Homepod (original). Can i use homepod (original) as default TV speaker (using ARC) and also as speaker for music ? After i quit listening to music, will Homepod switch automatically as default TV speaker, or do i have to set it as a default speaker again ?

Thank you

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 1:52 PM

As noted, when you try to use the speaker natively for music, or AirPlay from another device, and they are set up as default speakers, then Apple TV will at the very least wake up and get involved. In a recent thread another user posted that the HomePods wouldn't work if they unpugged their Apple TV in this scenario. The default speaker setting is persistent, but may not always be idea. If you don't use it then you will need to select AirPlay each time.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 1:52 PM in response to QuaqyJR

As noted, when you try to use the speaker natively for music, or AirPlay from another device, and they are set up as default speakers, then Apple TV will at the very least wake up and get involved. In a recent thread another user posted that the HomePods wouldn't work if they unpugged their Apple TV in this scenario. The default speaker setting is persistent, but may not always be idea. If you don't use it then you will need to select AirPlay each time.

tt2

Jun 2, 2022 7:42 AM in response to QuaqyJR

Neither HomePod not Apple TV support ARC. Audio can flow from Apple TV to your TV, or to HomePods and other speakers over AirPlay, but doesn't come back from the TV over the HDMI connection and cannot be redirected. When set up as default speakers HomePod will play all audio output from the Apple TV, but it will also wake up the Apple TV when you only really wanted to listen to music. If you don't set as the default speakers you need to select HomePod whenever you want it to play the Apple TV's audio, but that may sometimes be a more convenient set up.

tt2

Jun 2, 2022 12:58 PM in response to turingtest2

You are not right. It is possible to set HomePod as a default speaker for any TV content (via Apple TV 2. gen, which is connected to HDMI arc port). After that, you can watch TV, play Xbox, PS5 etc. and the sound will go out from HomePod. My question was that if i set HomePod as a default speaker and then play music from my Iphone, will it work and if so, will it still be a default speaker or do i have to set it again after i quit listening music from my phone? I want to buy HomePod and use it as default TV speaker and sometimes as a speaker for my music. That is why i am asking. Thank you.

HomePod as a default TV speaker (using ARC)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.