Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My deleted mailbox keeps reappearing and my new ones disappear with macOS Mojave

I'm running late 2010 Mac Pro with Mojave. I created two new mailboxes and and deleted one. Everytime I close and open Mail the deleted mailbox keeps reappearing and the two new one disappear. They're easy to recreate and get the mail back into them. Is there a way to fix this so Mail remembers the changes? Is there a rebuild tool or a file I can edit? Thanks in advance.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Pro

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 11:05 AM

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 11:05 AM in response to wsrphoto

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Jun 5, 2022 4:08 AM in response to wsrphoto

It won't restart in Safe Mode.. I used Recovery mode but nothing changed. Mailbox folders are frozen at about a month ago. Add mailbox, it disappears when I close the app. Deleteted mailboxes reappear, complete with all the mail. Restored V6 folder doesn't fix any problems. Mail app won't update list of mailboxes. It goes back to about a month ago. It's now stuck with the folders. I had. Where is file for the list of mailboxes or whatever determines mailboxes?

Jun 5, 2022 5:01 AM in response to BDAqua

Took over an hour to get into Safe mode. Mail app half works. All the mailboxes are in the folder (directory) in V6 directory with all the mail, but the Mail app isn't reading them and creates mail app mailboxes from a month ago without the mail in new or moved folders and all the deleted mailboxes show up. I deleted the envelope files (3 or 5 files, same result. In normal mode it doesn't even find the old mail in the new mailboxes despite mbox file showing content.That's the problem, Mail app is using something wrong to display mailboxes.

Jun 5, 2022 12:42 PM in response to wsrphoto

What I know so far. The V6 mailbox folder with all the mbox(es) are correct and full. When I open mail I'm getting a listing from months ago without newly added mailboxes, which are empty despite having mail in them before, and with recent deleted mailboxes with all their mail.

There's a disconnect between the mail app and the mail database. Where does mail app get its list of mailboxes? I've deleted the envelope files in maildata before opening app to rebuild the mailboxes, but it just keeps creating the wrong listing, and I can't read the files to know if it's the disconnect.

I've tried Safe Mode and Recovery Mode restoring OS-X. Nothing changed.

Jun 7, 2022 5:40 AM in response to BDAqua

I found the missing e-mails and can add and rebuild the mailboxes. The problem is the V6 folder with the .mbox files is correct in the mailboxes and order in the display, and the backupTOC.plist file is correct for the display. The problem is when app is opened it's reading another file with the older mailboxes and order. There are four deleted mailboxes and none of the new ones added. What I need is the list of files in V6/MailData folder to compare list in my Mac. It would help if someone new the file the app reads in user directory to display the mailboxes. Somewhere it's reading a wrong file.

Jun 7, 2022 11:53 AM in response to wsrphoto

Quit mail.

Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy & Paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Highlight all the contents.

Then right-click and choose "New Folder with Selection”. Do not move the new folder from this current location.

You can close the Finder window.

The next step will be to restart the Mac and test

After the computer is restarted, open the Mail Preferences to see if it opens properly.

Jun 7, 2022 2:31 PM in response to BDAqua

That was a disaster. It reset my mailbox to default style with all the e-mails in inbox, including the 5 accounts, into the one inbox. I quit mail, and restored the folder from clone copy and restarted Mac. It went back to my original problems, deleted folders returned and new folders disappeared. I imported the three new and deleted the old ones. But it's still the problem. It's not reading the right file to display the mailboxes. It's using one months old. but I can't find where it's getting that file.

Jun 7, 2022 4:34 PM in response to BDAqua

Do you have a list of the V6/Maildata folder? There was a BackupTOC.plist file in mine with the folder information I suspect the app uses, but the app doesn't read it or look at he list of .mobx files in the folder of mailboxes. I suspect I lost a file or something. Would be nice to have a chart of the folder and files mail app uses. More homework.

Jun 7, 2022 5:51 PM in response to wsrphoto

~/Library/Mail/V6/4E0FB21C-50FE-4D70-ACFF-968

~/Library/Mail/V6/3BA2648F-9F70-407D-B494-E7E

~/Library/Mail/V6/8B3B36E0-777C-418F-9A1B-B9F3

~/Library/Mail/V6/06FC8213-C5A7-4D53-A72A-250

~/Library/Mail/V6/3837E903-D869-468F-AF6E-3AF

~/Library/Mail/V6/DCB5B1E1-4ECC-4CE1-8D71-D72

~/Library/Mail/V6/MailData

~/Library/Mail/V6/3569E375-1564-40EF-8A80-43A

~/Library/Mail/V6/AosIMAP-bdaq

~/Library/Mail/V6/IMAP-bdaqua1936@

~/Library/Mail/V6/AosIMAP-bdaqua1936@

~/Library/Mail/V6/04F458B4-7DDE-4FED-90E

~/Library/Mail/V6/IMAP-bdaA

/Volumes/SSD2/Users/bd1/Library/Mail/V6/IMAP-bda@

Jun 8, 2022 10:23 AM in response to BDAqua

I was interested in the MailData folder. Here's mine:

AvailableFeeds

AvailableFeeds-shm

AvailableFeeds-wal

AvailableFeeds.corrupt

BackupTOC.plist

DefaultCounts

Envelope Index

Envelope Index-shm

Envelope Index-wal

Envelope Index..tmp.BjX49F-shm

Envelope Index..tmp.BjX49F-wal

ExternalUpdates.storedata

ExternalUpdates.storedata-shm

ExternalUpdates.storedata-wal

FlagMailboxes.plist

LSMMap2

MessageRules.plist

MessageRules.plist.backup

MessageUidsAlreadyDownloaded3

MessageUidsAlreadyDownloaded3-shm

MessageUidsAlreadyDownloaded3-wal

OpenedAttachmentsV2.plist

RulesActiveState.plist

SearchHistory.plist

Signatures (folder)

SmartMailboxes.plist

SmartMailboxes.plist.backup

SmartMailboxesLocalProperties.plist

SyncAlert

SyncedFilesInfo.plist

SyncedRules.plist

SyncedSmartMailboxes.plist

TOC.plist

UnsyncedRules.plist

VersionedSmartMailboxes.plist

VersionedSmartMailboxes.plist.backup

VIPMailboxes.plist

VIPs.plist

This is where any Table of Contents for Mail folders should be (note BackupTOC.plist).

Jun 9, 2022 5:20 PM in response to wsrphoto

BackupTOC.plist

DefaultCounts

Envelope Index

Envelope Index-shm

Envelope Index-wal

Envelope Index..tmp.OH41K5-shm

Envelope Index..tmp.OH41K5-wal

ExternalUpdates.storedata

ExternalUpdates.storedata-shm

ExternalUpdates.storedata-wal

FlagMailboxes.plist

LSMMap2

MessageUidsAlreadyDownloaded3

MessageUidsAlreadyDownloaded3-shm

MessageUidsAlreadyDownloaded3-wal

MessageUidsAlreadyDownloaded3.corrupt

OpenedAttachmentsV2.plist

RulesActiveState.plist

Signatures

SmartMailboxesLocalProperties.plist

SyncedFilesInfo.plist

SyncedRules.plist

SyncedSmartMailboxes.plist

UnsyncedRules.plist

VIPMailboxes.plist

VIPs.plist

My deleted mailbox keeps reappearing and my new ones disappear with macOS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.