Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch can't see my arm through my tattoo. What to do?

I bought a watch, they can't see the arm through the tattoo. What to do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 8

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 3:40 AM

Apple says;

Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.

You can turn Wrist detection off but there is a downside;

Turning off wrist detection affects these Apple Watch features:

When you use Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, you’ll be prompted to enter your passcode when you double-click the side button to authorize the payment.

Some Activity measurements are unavailable.

Heart rate tracking and notifications are turned off.

Apple Watch will no longer automatically lock and unlock.

Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 4 and later won't automatically make an emergency call even after it has detected a hard impact fall.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 3:40 AM in response to Frivertsky

Apple says;

Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.

You can turn Wrist detection off but there is a downside;

Turning off wrist detection affects these Apple Watch features:

When you use Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, you’ll be prompted to enter your passcode when you double-click the side button to authorize the payment.

Some Activity measurements are unavailable.

Heart rate tracking and notifications are turned off.

Apple Watch will no longer automatically lock and unlock.

Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 4 and later won't automatically make an emergency call even after it has detected a hard impact fall.

My Apple Watch can't see my arm through my tattoo. What to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.