Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K Digital Movies in my Library

I purchased both The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Extended Editions through iTunes/Apple TV app on my iMac. I just got a sweet LG OLED 4K TV. I understand I cannot download 4K versions of these movies but must stream them. However, when I look at say the first Hobbit movie in my Library, it says it's HD but when I look in the Store at the same movie, it says it's purchased and available in 4K. Should I delete the HD versions I'd previously downloaded to my Library on my iMac? How do I know I'm actually getting the 4k versions when I play them with my 4K Apple TV? Any education would be appreciated.

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 7:40 AM

When streaming through the TV app on the Apple TV box, directly from Apple’s servers, then it will stream in the best quality available, within the range of your settings and devices, regardless of what is on your Mac. The Apple TV 4K box, the cabling, and settings must all support 4K.

Your TV may have options to show current stream information, which would often include resolution. Some TVs have that, others don’t. See your TV manual or ask a brand expert.

The Apple TV box will have HUD stream information overlay options available for developer accounts (free or paid).

Does it show “4K” for these titles in the TV app on the Apple TV box? I.e. you can’t determine this from your Mac. The line with movie details below the “hero image” would say ‘4K’ if 4K is available through that device.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 7:40 AM in response to kentmcpherson

When streaming through the TV app on the Apple TV box, directly from Apple’s servers, then it will stream in the best quality available, within the range of your settings and devices, regardless of what is on your Mac. The Apple TV 4K box, the cabling, and settings must all support 4K.

Your TV may have options to show current stream information, which would often include resolution. Some TVs have that, others don’t. See your TV manual or ask a brand expert.

The Apple TV box will have HUD stream information overlay options available for developer accounts (free or paid).

Does it show “4K” for these titles in the TV app on the Apple TV box? I.e. you can’t determine this from your Mac. The line with movie details below the “hero image” would say ‘4K’ if 4K is available through that device.

4K Digital Movies in my Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.