Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K movies from library not showing on apple tv

I just got an Apple TV 4K, and a large screen LG smart TV. I have a 4K capable HDMI cable from Belkin (recommended by Apple for the ATV4K). None of my 4K movies in my TV library on my iMac are showing up on the ATV. It's frustrating, because it would be nice to watch these movies on the 55" TV instead of my 27" iMac. Isn't that the whole point of the ATV4K?

I could set up Plex and watch them through that, but I shouldn't have to. That would require copying the 4K movies to a separate folder for that purpose.

Is there a setting I need to change? I've rebooted the Apple TV, I've unplugged it and waited ten minutes before plugging it back it, all to no avail.

My TV is the LG 55" Class C1 Series OLED 4K UHD.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 2:50 AM

if not movies purchased from apple then make sure they are in a format the appletv support

Video Formats

H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile

HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile)/HLG up to 2160p, 60 fps

H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 fps, Simple profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

from

Apple TV 4K - Technical Specifications - Apple

mind you avi, mp4 and the likes are containers not codecs

What is the difference?: Codecs and containers (promax.com)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2022 2:50 AM in response to macdave_austin

if not movies purchased from apple then make sure they are in a format the appletv support

Video Formats

H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile

HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile)/HLG up to 2160p, 60 fps

H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 fps, Simple profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

from

Apple TV 4K - Technical Specifications - Apple

mind you avi, mp4 and the likes are containers not codecs

What is the difference?: Codecs and containers (promax.com)

4K movies from library not showing on apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.