Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Create Folder in MacOS Monterey Home Folder

There have been other queries about the inability to create folders but Apple's response is you can create folders in your home folder. I have full admin privileges with read/write in my home folder (user/Documents) but unable to create folders. I can create one on the desktop and drag it to my home folder. Any guidance why I have no control over my own data in my own folder?

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 7:12 AM

John Bremer wrote:

There have been other queries about the inability to create folders but Apple's response is you can create folders in your home folder. I have full admin privileges with read/write in my home folder (user/Documents) but unable to create folders. I can create one on the desktop and drag it to my home folder. Any guidance why I have no control over my own data in my own folder?

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 7:12 AM in response to John Bremer

John Bremer wrote:

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Jun 2, 2022 7:38 AM in response to John Bremer

While in Finder and in the folder Users/myusrname/Documents (which is where all my user created files are located in subfolders. Trying to create a new folder with the Finder-File drop down and New Folder is greyed out. I can easily create and manage folders on the desktop as the same user. Permissions for all folders under Users/myusrname/documents are Read/Write. Work around is create a new folder on the desktop and drag to Users/myusrname/documents but something is fundamentally wrong with this work around.

Jun 2, 2022 8:36 AM in response to John Bremer

Yes, something is definitely wrong.

A few more information may help us get there.

Try doing the same thing while booted in Safe Mode (Safe Mode is slow, and meant only as test). Can you create folders in that location when in Safe Mode?

There could be some software conflict.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Can't Create Folder in MacOS Monterey Home Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.