Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch Sensitivity

My watch was recently replaced (after 2 years of wear) and now irritates my skin. Apple recommends selling it or seeing a dermatologist but I feel strongly that it's a quality control issue. Apple won't take accountability for the new issue. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 4:26 PM

Quote from "Wearing your apple watch" support document;

A great deal of care and research goes into choosing materials for all of our devices. In addition to ensuring that all materials adhere to existing regulations, we developed our own specification for Apple Watch that goes beyond those requirements.In fact, every material that touches your skin has gone through extensive evaluation in accordance with our specification. This includes:

Thousands of material composition test

More than a thousand prototypes worn for trial studies

Thousands of toxicological assessments

Consultations with board-certified dermatologists

A small number of people will experience reactions to certain materials. This can be due to allergies, environmental factors, extended exposure to irritants like soap or sweat, and other causes.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 4:26 PM in response to shaina137

Quote from "Wearing your apple watch" support document;

A great deal of care and research goes into choosing materials for all of our devices. In addition to ensuring that all materials adhere to existing regulations, we developed our own specification for Apple Watch that goes beyond those requirements.In fact, every material that touches your skin has gone through extensive evaluation in accordance with our specification. This includes:

Thousands of material composition test

More than a thousand prototypes worn for trial studies

Thousands of toxicological assessments

Consultations with board-certified dermatologists

A small number of people will experience reactions to certain materials. This can be due to allergies, environmental factors, extended exposure to irritants like soap or sweat, and other causes.

Jun 3, 2022 4:18 AM in response to Community User

I have no doubt that an enormous amount of research goes into creating this watch. However, why would the replacement be an issue for me, when the initial watch was worn for 2 years and was never an issue? My best guess is that the source for the materials have changed. Even a slight change could make a difference. But happy to hear any other ideas you may have. I have also, paid for Apple care for the duration of time that I had the watch and after spending two years on Apple Care and another $85 for the replacement, I can now no longer wear the watch. This isn't sitting well with me. It doesn't seem right. Apple customer service also made suggestions and gave me no options, which is truly unfortunate.

Jun 3, 2022 5:26 AM in response to shaina137

All I can suggest is that you see a doctor/dermatologist and see what they say,there are roughly 60 million watches in circulation and a very tiny minority have the same problem as you,allergies start when we least expect them.

Watch Sensitivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.